Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where's the best place to get a complete 9" bolt in for a '65 Stang. It should have around 550hp(supercharged). Or would the 8" hold up with or without upgrades?:confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
granada's had 9" rears that would bolt up. but they are hard to find.

i dont think an 8" would hold up long behind 550 hp.

is that fw or rw?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's flywheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 9" from Curries, complete with 31 spline axles and traction lock, no brakes, for 1200 + shipping.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would go with ordering a new 9". I installed a Versaille 9" and wouldn't do it again. In the end, it costs more than a new one. I had to install new axles, detroit locker unit, gears, calipers, rotors, pinion yoke and fabricate a break cable bracket. On top of all this, it is one heavy unit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pierce Racing in Huntersville, NC can hook you up. I called them the other day to check on a 9" to put in my 66 fastback. They said to buy one of their core bare housings would be $50, then $100 to cut to width and weld correct ends, $50 to weld the spring pads in correct location. This would not be cleaned or painted. $200 for a housing is not bad, I have seen them for $450 at other places. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
can you reuse the 8" brakes with a 9"? How much would new brakes be if not (don't need anything special, good drums would work(.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anybody know the answer to sadbuttrue's quesetion? I'm also looking for a 9" rear, but i would really like to reuse drums from my 8"...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I recently swapped a 9 into my 69 stang. It had an 8 originally. I got the 9 from a 69 cougar, unbolted the u-bolts, the brakes, took out the axles, unscrewed the breather hose and unclipped the brakelines. Then i just stuck the nine under and did the above in reverse. Dint even haf to rebleed the brakes wen dun. Then i found a 3.89 pumpkin from a 50's truck, got a mini spool from ebay for 15$ and reused the 8's 28 spline axles. I know these will break eventually and with your supercharge 500hp it may not take it. But a 31 spline mini is still only 15$ i think and then u just need to find 31 spline axles or buy aftermarket ones and then it would take it im sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks man. I was hoping it would be as simple as that.

Also, what kind of HP can a 8" stand up to? I will have 300hp max n/a, and may put a 100-150 shot of juice on in the future. I was planning on getting some sort of locker, with a 3.80-4.11 gear. Would the 8 incher stand up, or should i just go ahead and do the 9" swap?

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think it would probably take it, at least for a while. Depends tho. You gonna be dumpin the clutch at 5g or is it an auto with a stock convertor? Gonna be usin slicks or jis spinnin street tires?

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2000 Camaro SS had a 7.5 inch rear with 4.10s and nitto drag radials, it did 398 to the rear wheels and the rear gave me no problems on launches, I could've broken it with slicks though.....I know the 8s are stronger than the fbody rears.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With an auto and 2500 stall i think the 8 would probly take it. Even with slicks. If you have a supercharger it wont be making much boost at launch so you wont be even near your peak power output. Id try it hehe, only one way to find out for sure right?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would upgrade. I had a mustang II with a 302, home ported heads, solid cam, auto, 200 shot n20 and the first launch on slicks blew both caps off the 8in. The memory tach said 9200rpm's. I'm looking at a turbo into a 64-66 now and plan on running an 8.8. They are cheap and many 9 sec cars are running them with minor mods.

·
Registered
111 Posts
haha, kewl, someday id like to blow the caps off hehe. That 8 would have had 28 spline axles? upgrading to a nine would only help if you upgraded to 31 spline or better axles. I think the axles is the real weakness of either the 8 or the 9, would take quite a bit to break a ring or pinion. And arent we all just using what we have until it breaks? Breakdowns are an oportunity to go faster launch harder and in turn break something different hehee ;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts