Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I got a 1989 mustang LX 5.0 a couple months ago for $2,500. It ran fine, then I ran into blown head gaskets so I stripped the motor down to the block to do a rebuild. I replaced every gasket down to the block, put everything back together, and she wouldn't start. Eventually she started up and I took her for a test ride, and here's my next problem... Whenever I was backing out I noticed it wouldn't catch reverse, until I let off the throttle and tap it again then it engages. Same thing in First, Second, and Third. It's like it keeps going to neutral, but only for a split second. Well yesterday I went to start her up and I noticed my radiator was bone dry, so I started filling her up. Whenever I started it, that water just started pouring from what looked like the bell housing, not exactly sure but it was in that general area. And it looked like there was some oil in it, more than likely tranny fluid because there was no color to it except for the texture and it rain bowed in the sun. Has anyone had these same problems? if so what steps should I take?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Head gaskets on backwards?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
It sounds like you have two separate problems; one being a coolant leak & the other being a trans issue. The trans slipping in "neutral" could be a simple as low fluid level, old fluid, or a TV cable adjustment (
). The coolant leak is odd... I'd guess it's a rear lower head bolt that isn't sealing, rear head gasket seal issue, rear freeze plug on the back of the head, etcetera. Good luck nonetheless......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know this was a stupid idea, but I am actually missing a valve cover bolt on the passenger side. I couldn't get new stud bolts due to money issues, so I used the old ones and one snapped off in there so it's going to be fun getting out.. My dad's built plenty of 8 second fox's, and from what he says if I'm beating on it I might leak a little oil from that stud, but nothing serious until we can fix it.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yes, it will likely seep some oil until you fix the situation. Out of curiosity, are you using the rubber impregnated steel core valve cover gaskets with stock valve covers or?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm currently running the cardboard ones sense they were $12. But that's strictly the valve covers only. And yes their stock, I'm soon looking into aluminum gt40 heads with cobra valve covers. But that will be after I get a 75mm throttle body and lower/upper intake so she can breath better. But yeah the gear problems I'm having is due to the TV cable, we didn't adjust it right we just put it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts