Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to search and getting no where quickly.

I have a few questions for you all.

1 - Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 88 GT. The factory radio was not in the car when I got it. I am putting a factory radio back in. I like the look of stock where the car is pretty original. Just would like to get a better understanding of what wires are what under there and which speakers are what.

Now...the factory harness was cut from the car but I did find one at the boneyard that I cut out. So I soldered it back into all the cut wires. When I plug it into a factory radio I bought, it has NO sound. It powers on, lights up, searches for stations, finds them...but NO sound.

2 - Did or DOES this car have a factory amp? Would the door tag tell you what stereo system this car received from factory? Did this car have a Factory EQ ? How would I tell. I can get a pic of the door take in a bit if needed.

I did find strapped to a metal bar under the heater controls a set of connector JUST like the ones that go to the radio. If I disconnect them and plug the mating end DIRECTLY to the radio, I GET SOUND! Now...I only have the 2 front dash speakers in the car right now but they both work this way. So what does this mean....what did I bypass?

3 - What are these connectors for in the pics below. Sorry for the cell pics, I can take some better ones with my camera if you need.

Thanks for your time.

The 2 grey square ones.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK...I have been digging a little more this morning.

Does it look like those square grey connectors go to a factory amp?
I will have to look in my car some more, I think its gone.

Here is a pic of one I found online.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess I answered myself, found an amp at the junkyard, thats what the 2 square connectors where for!

Does anyone still know what the other 2 are?

·
Registered
602 Posts
the two smaller ones look like they are a standard for speaker connector, they are probably to hook up the dash speakers as well as the doors. If you follow those harnesses, they will go up behind the glove box/climate controls and plug into another harness. If you disconnnect that harnesss and pull it down to the radio location, get a standard for 70-1770 or FDO2b hrns and it will plug right in and bypass the amp that you do not want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts