Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1987 hatch a few weeks back and it has t tops. The owner said "never seen rain", "garage kept", the whole 9 yards. And no wonder it had to be because the door windows do no seal.... So I knew this when buying and though it would be an easy fix. Here I am a month later and still no progress and commuting to work and back has become dreadful on stormy days.

The doors are not from a t top car and have had the top rail cut off to be compatible with t tops. The doors them selves line up 100% and you can not tell they were cut. These windows though... I bough new t top weatherstripping, new window guide bushings, and new window motor gears all to help the situation... After doing the t top strips twice in order to use rubber fillings to make the strips thicker, I got the windows almost 100% except the top rear corners. And when moving the window up and down just messes everything up and needs a pair of hands to get back into position every time.

I found out today stupidly that t tops had different glass than hardtops or verts. Will this new glass solve the problems and roll up snug with my new weatherstrips? Will t top glass fit into the door I have and use the same motor, rail, guides, regulator and such.. And where on earth am I going to find ford t top glass... a dealership order? cross fingers for a part out on here or craigslist? that'll never happen. Any info here will enlighten me

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
From the "factory" i.e. Cars and Concepts. They cut the frame off of the hardtop doors and changed the glass to do the T-top conversion. Were the doors or glass on your car ever changed to your knowledge?

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The previous owner said he got doors from another fox, cut them to fit and replaced the glass with t top glass. I just contacted him again last night to confirm this. He is not the most knowledgeable guy and I would question his work, any way to tell the glass is right or not? noticeable difference?

It also seems no matter how tight I make the window guide brackets (with new bushings) the window still has play when moved with hands as in it can tilt side to side. This is causing the the window when rolled up and down to never go to the same spot. I wish I could find new window guide brackets and know they are new and correct specs... not sold anywhere.

Never have I ever thought these windows would be such trouble... then again every car project ends this way for me.

·
Registered
1988 Mustang GT Vert
455 Posts
If you are not already then go sign up for foureyedpride.com and do a search for T-top repair manual. It's on there as a downloadable pdf, it details the procedure to adjust the door glass along with other things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts