Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back we converted the car to mass air and when we pulled out the computer it said on it for use in taurus 3.0l only on it

anyone ever heard of this?.. the car was a 1 owner car and the first owner never did nothing but put some mufflers on it because his rotted out (smog and everything even airbox silencer was still on)

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
What was the code on the computer? I can't remember the speed density codes off the top of my head..but I find it hard to believe that a v6 taurus computer worked on a 302.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought I was the only one..... the original speed density computer that was in my 87 notch had a sticker on it that said "3.0 Taurus". I always thought that was strange. I can offer no explanation for it, all I can say is the car ran fine with this computer. I have no reason to think it wasn't original.

:confused:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats whats weird.. it doesnt have one
its got a ford part number and says about 3.0l only under it

i talked to somebody i know at ford.. he said all ford computers are basicly interchangable
that it doesnt run on number of cyl's it just knows the fire the next cyl on its own and would consider it a v6 but would just keep adding the extra 2 and the comp would think cyl1 is at a diff place each turn

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wonder if they messed up and built too many Taurus 3.0 computers and changed the ROM on them them to work on the 5.0L HO?

Or maybe they messed up and stuck the wrong label on a bunch of computers?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what ive read its the same computer.. all distributer engines with speed density used the same programing

just some diffrent timing and fuel curves is the only diff

·
Registered
386 Posts
so what would be cheaper to get your hands on and mod.
i will be doin a conversion in a couple of months on my 87

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what i know.. mass air computers are non interchangable.. unless u use one tuned for gas milage out of a big lincon or something like that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts