Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not real familiar with the 84 setups as far as motor goes. My first question would be, is it an HO motor? looking into the firing order.
Second, solid roller? non hydrolic?
What am I going to be able to do to this motor? It is a stroker 347, but any conversions that might be good to help out the performance?
It has good pistons and rods, not sure about the crank, but I have thought about buying heads, cam, RR and replacing the lifters. Any recomendations would be great.

·
Registered
227 Posts
is it indeed a 84 motor or a different year motor in a 84 car my 84 was a ho but not a roller i went to a newer year in mine to make it roller

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I went to a newer year motor in my 84 to make it a roller as well. I went with a 91 H.O. motor. my 84 originaly had a roller motor in it. there are conversions to make the older blocks rollers, but I just don;t trust that as much as having one designed as a roller.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
let me make a correct my 84 originally had an H.O. motor in not a roller motor. I typed that wrong. I belive you can use teh internals, but don;t quote me on that. Let someone else chime in and say for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might just end up buying a stronger block anyway, if anyone knows of someone who is interested in just selling a bare 302/347 block let me know.

·
Registered
227 Posts
if it is a none roller block the cam willnot work in roller block pistons and rods should with proper machine work also distributor will need new gear for roller motor i put bronze on mine but i think i heard steel will work

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a bigger cam, which brought up this whole ordeal to me because the cam in it is pretty mild. I want to get a bigger cam and don't know if it would be worth getting everything changed out for that. Maybe I should just get the big cam and live with it? or should I go roller?

I am looking at the book and it asks for HO and nonHO motors, how can I tell which is which? The thing is Carb so it's not like the EFI where it's right there on the intake.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your best bet is to just buy some elses project. A nice 306 would fit you just fine without buying the farm. Consider your 84' a backyard boat anchor. That what I did with my 82'. If you truly want to keep the car and improve the performance as you go along you need to upgrade to an 85 or later block and if you are going to do internal work, upgrade while you have it apart. If you dont have the money, save.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mine had original double snorkel breather that said ho on it you would probably save alot of mony just changing cam. not sure how to tell ho maybe someone else can help is it a gt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
did you say its already a 347 or did i misunderstand

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This block is already a 347 with Scad rods and Ross pistons so I know the internals are good just the cam is really mild and I want to go bigger and get new heads, this is what brought up my whole concern. Is it going to be worth me buying a bigger cam and heads for a non roller motor?
If not, will these internals work on a newer motor if the firing order is different?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
You can get a flat tappet cam and still produce horsepower. And it wouldbe cheaper than buying a whole new block, unless you really wanted a stronger block. Is the distributor already in the motor and are the wires attached? if so the H.O. motor has the 351 firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 as far as trying to tell if it is an H.O. motor try doing search for identifying H.O. motors. Yu can always add roller rockers to a non roller cam motor to reduce some friction. But a flat tappen cam is not a bad thing. Roller is better as far as wear and beign able to have a little steeper cam lobes but you can get a flat tappet cam to produce horsepower. If yuo get a non H.O. cam you just out the plugs on in a standard 302 firing order. If you use a H.O. cam you use the 351 firing order.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i say yes i tried 3 firing orders out of the book before i got mine right what kind of heads were you thinging of going with. i say the 347 non roller with good heads and cam will be pretty stout you can always put roller rockers on the heads just get stud mounted heads and 1.6 roller rockers all in what you want and how mutch money you want to spend.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I agree with staying with the non roller block if yuo already if and ready to go. no need throwing good money after good money. Just build up what you have that is already started.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses everyone, I think I will just stay with what I have, now as far as heads and cam, what would you all say I should go with? I have been told to put some victor jrs. on it but any other ideas? heads and cam?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have also thought about some AFR heads, I know they are good but any thoughts on what would be best for this setup and a good cam to match.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i would go a.f.r 185 or maybe 205 as far as heads are concerned its ballanced right and what intake you going to run and how hard you planning to turn it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is only going to be a strip car, so I am going to go as far as I can with this motor. I am going to take it in to get balanced and what not, I am shooting for a 10 sec. car. The motor is carbed so I might go with a spider or something if I can get one for that.

The balancing is one thing I am concerned about also because I pulled the block completely apart to check the internals (was kind of shaky about the seller) and I found the damper broken and one of the links busted on the timing chain. In seeing this I knew I was going to need to get the thing balanced and the crank checked out because now there is some ware on it from the balancer turning on it, may have to buy a whole new crank. You see my concerns, but I want to get the thing back together with good stuff and be able to run low 11'2 high 10's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts