Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 GT 5spd. I am rebuilding the motor right now and I am not doing anything special to it. Just headers and exhaust. This will be a street only car and I won’t be taking it to a “real” track or anything. Sure I’ll beat on it in the streets and stuff but nothing serious. I was wondering what would be the most comfortable coil overs.
Also. The previous owner attached a trailer hitch the this car and used to pull his Seadoo down to the lake. Which I love haha. Just thought that was somethin funny.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
On my 86 GT 'vert I run Bilstein HD struts with the MM C/O conversion and 300# springs. The ride quality actually improved over the previous 650# Ford "C" springs despite the higher wheel rate of the C/Os. For a DD, I found this rate to be a good compromise between aggressive driving and comfortable cruising. The problem is, you can't buy Bilsteins or for that matter, much in the way of aftermarket high performance struts for your 86 spindles. You would have to upgrade to 87+ v8 spindles and the 11" brakes or to sn95 5-lug spindles.

With that said, the real comfort problem with Fox chassis cars is the rear suspension. It's not designed to articulate all that well and it binds easily, so there is a lot of harshness even with front C/Os. But the conversion to front C/Os is very noticeable despite the poor rear suspension.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have MM C/O with 250lb springs and bilsteins. That’s what they recommended when I told them how I use the car and what I was looking for. I say if you’re thinking about getting them, go for it you won’t be disappointed. Ride and handling is much improved even with the stock 4 link rear suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.