Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this in a couple of feature cars for magazines... Anyone here done it?
I'm just starting out by doing the fuel level, oil pressure, water temp, and a voltmeter to replace my dead charging gauge.
Anyways, with some cutting/grinding I can make the 2 1/16" Autometer gauges fit (only done the fuel level so far), but if I do go with a tach and speedo, will the 3 3/8" ones work? The stock tach and speedo holes are about 4" or will they be noticeably smaller than the stock holes? Any tricks or tips to help me pull this off?
I'm going to use Phantom gauges and so far the fuel level one looks pretty darn sharp.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've got two different things (I KNOW I have better pics of what's in my GT)...

This is in my GT:

But it's not the factory plastic. It's one of these: http://www.mc-machine.com/79dash/79dash.htm

And this is what I did in the RS, and it looks kinda cheesy, but I can make it look better once I get the motivation:

I've yet to try any actual cutting of the dash plastic.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only problem with the aftermarket plate is I'll lose my A/C vent...not to mention the fact that I've already bought a 2 1/16" fuel level and voltmeter.
I might try making an aluminum backing for the stock plastic, that way I can use the 3 3/8" gauges.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
FunkRider82 said:
How do you connect an aftermarket speedometer to the stock transmission?
Florida5.0 makes an adapter that goes from the stock speedo cable to the threaded end of most aftermarket speedos.

Carson

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just to let everyone know the Florida 5.0 stuff STILL isn't ready....I called in Oct. they said "the first of the year". I called Mid Jan. They said the "end of the month." So I called a couple days ago, and the said "Hoping by Mid Feb." Thank god my car is still in a million peices, or I'd be pissed.

I was thinking about the MC. Machine plate, but i'm not too crazy about hacking the dash apart that much, although the end product I think looks a little better then the F. 5.0 stuff....to date.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You don't have to hack the dash apart, all you do is cut out some of the plastic that's never seen. I might have pics of how much we had to remove from mine. It's not a big deal, and shouldn't interfere with putting the stock cluster back in should you ever choose to do so...as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man that McMachine dash looks awsome, kind of pricey for a piece of metal though. Does it come with turn signal bulbs and bright light bulb already installed?

·
Registered
488 Posts
yes it does, worth every $$

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you need to get a threaded collar crimped onto the cable at a speedometer shop since the stock one isn't threaded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts