Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for opinions please.

I'm debating on either a FRPP 302 long block with the E-303 cam and GT-40X heads. Or building up the 74' 351W block I have on my engine stand. Both are going into a 95 mustang gt. The 351W would consist of a 0.030 overbore with GT-40x 58cc heads (9.5:1 compression) custom comp cams retro fit cam to convert to hydrolic roller, GT-40 lower 95 cobra R upper intake controlled by a factory 95 cobra r computer.
The Ford cataloge says the 302 will make about 345hp, Given the buildup for the 351W what do you think the horse power will be compared to the 302? And also the 302 lists for 3,500. Will the 351W cost much more to build? thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
246 Posts
351, but ditch that intake or you won't make **** for power. don't go with less than 224* @.050 cam either. i passed emisions easily with a 222/232 cam....... EASILY. even those heads are too small.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only thing i have for a 302 from my 95gt that could be re-used would be the cobra intake and headers and 65mm throttle body.

if the GT-40X heads and cobra r intake for the 351 are too small, which head intake combo would be best for a street application?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just wanted to bring this to your attention in case you didn't know:

The head bolts for the 351W are 1/2" compared to the 302 which is I think 7/16", but I know the 351W bolts are bigger. The lower intakes are not interchangeable due to the taller deck height causing the intake to be wider. The upper is reusable, but like said above, you will lose power. The fuel rails will need to be lengthened due to the wider intake. The headers for a fox bodied 351W are special 351W swap headers, so I would say yours would not work because the deck height is taller, placing the headers higher in the engine compartment and possibly having some clearance issues. A 65mm mass air does seem kind of small, but it will do.

There have been a lot of people choosing the 351W Trickflow upper/lower intakes. People also use bigger heads than the GT-40X heads, but that is what the crate motors come with, so they can't be that bad. Most of the time people that are mostly stock choose the 351W route because if your gonna buy new heads, intake, headers, cam, throttle body, mass air, and injectors, you might as well buy them for the 351W and gain 49 cubic inches in the process. I am not sure about how the 351W fits in the 94-95's, but I know with fox bodies, they usually require a cowl hood.

Frank

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was trying to state if i go with the crate 302 i can re-use my lower gt-40 intake and my motorsport headers too. i would need a new lower gt-40 intake and 95 cobra r headers for the 351w conversion. also i will need a cobra r hood for clearance issues. Looking for opinions on head and intake combo for a 351W please and how much power i can realisticly expect from a 351W N/A with nice heads cam and intake? thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
207 Posts
Those heads are weak. Go with Victors or big AFRs or Canfields. I dont know why people spend 1500 on heads that are small??? My ported canfields and a ported cobra intake (killing it) made it go 12.52 at 109.5. That is with all the usual other stuff though. I would go with the 351. It will be more money, but it will live longer and run stronger. 65MM is fine.

Oh yeah, Power. Mmy buddie goes 11.97 with slicks, with his LX with a '69 351 with stock ported heads (tiny valves... like 1.84!!!), a Victor Jr intake and longtubes, a comp cam... 10.28 with a 180 shot. He runs 12.07 with Pep boys radials off the foot brake. WIth heads, intake and cam, he hauls ass. Everything esle is STOCK from 1969.

Note- any good head will not let you use those ford rocker arms. They will use a chevy style (non-pedestal style or stud mount).

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's not a 'street' motor, and it's not EFI, but it sure could be, (either/or).
351W + Eagle stroker kit= 418 cubes.
610 hp @ 6800 rpm, and 544 ft lbs tq @ 5100.
Docile enough for street usage, easily!:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.