Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who's using the 73 mm caliper on their 87-93 with their stock MC
how is your braking power with the 73's and stock MC. I will be upgrading MC at a later date but can I get away with the stock for awhile

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't do it. You will lose almost all of your braking power. Just wait until you can change the MC. The stock MC can't push enough volume to the bigger calipers. They do make a big difference once you get a different MC in. I ran a 95 MC with the 73mm calipers and Lincoln Mark VII rear disk. Stopped pretty good.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I figured
Thanks

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I've been running 73mm calipers with a stock m/c for 2 years now. My cars stops from 120+ mph just fine.

Yes, I do want to upgrade, I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I've been running round 3 years now with stock MC and 73mm calipers. No problems at all... Maybe I just got used to it.. I didn't notice any depletion in braking force but I did notice the pedal now grabs farther down to the floor than before...

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Did you do any modifications to the stock MC at all or just left it as it was? I know on Matt's site he offers a part to help the stocker function better..

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
MYLITTLEHO said:
but I did notice the pedal now grabs farther down to the floor than before...
That is the problem. It requires 48% more pedal travel to create the same hydraulic pressure at the calipers.

The problem comes in the form of racing or a PANIC stop!

You push the pedal and your 48% hits the floorboards before the calipers can even come close to applying enough force to slow the car down. Forget locking up calipers! Your foot is on the floor and the car is not slowing down.

Bad situation to be in. Seems pretty dumb to risk that for a less than $100 MC swap.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I race and slow down just fine. 8 months out of the year, my car is a daily driver (and people drive like nuts around here) and I've had quit a few situations where I've had to "panic stop". My calipers WILL lock up in this situation.

I'm not saying the M/C does not to be changed, it really should. And, I'm not saying my pedal doesn't go down further than before, but, I'm saying the 73s can and will work with the stock M/C.

In about 2 months I'm getting my car out of storage again and I'm going to do a brake freshen up along with the new m/c.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Matt90GT said:
That is the problem. It requires 48% more pedal travel to create the same hydraulic pressure at the calipers.

The problem comes in the form of racing or a PANIC stop!

You push the pedal and your 48% hits the floorboards before the calipers can even come close to applying enough force to slow the car down. Forget locking up calipers! Your foot is on the floor and the car is not slowing down.

Bad situation to be in. Seems pretty dumb to risk that for a less than $100 MC swap.
I don't have any of the problems your describing.... I can lock up the brakes WAY before the pedal ever reaches the floor and I have no problems stopping at all.. ever.. If I felt for a moment that I or my passengers were in danger from driving the car in this state I wouldn't do it.. But I've never had any problems..

95 GT MC upgrade is in the works along with a rear disk conversion using North brackets, and Turbo Coupe Calipers. Just have to gather the parts...

·
Registered
436 Posts
You guys have probably just been driving your cars so long like that, that you don't even notice how much your brakes suck.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
MYLITTLEHO said:
If I felt for a moment that I or my passengers were in danger from driving the car in this state I wouldn't do it.. But I've never had any problems..
Same here.

I guess you other guy's just aren't getting what the hell we are saying, so, I guess I'll say it again. MY CAR IS ABLE TO LOCK UP THE FRONT BRAKES, AT ANY TIME, ON COMMAND. HOW MUCH MORE BRAKING PRESSURE COULD YOU POSSIBLY NEED???

Yes, my pedal feels a bit mushier than, say, my F150 or my '96 GP, and I am going to change the m/c when I put my line lock kit on. I'm just waiting for a little warmer weather. But it doesn't go to the floor like you guys are imagining.

I've made 100's of passes at the strip at 105 mph+ (no nitrous) and 120 mph+ (nitrous), I have never, ever had a problem making the turn arounds.

·
Registered
436 Posts
StangLX302 said:
I guess you other guy's just aren't getting what the hell we are saying, so, I guess I'll say it again. MY CAR IS ABLE TO LOCK UP THE FRONT BRAKES, AT ANY TIME, ON COMMAND. HOW MUCH MORE BRAKING PRESSURE COULD YOU POSSIBLY NEED???
I don't think you understand. Braking capability isn't dependant on you being able to lock up the font brakes. It's that one time that you need to hit the brakes hard when you are going to rearend somebody. Some people need to learn the hard way. The way your car is now, it stops worse than it did with the stock calipers in there, no matter what it may seem like. With the bigger calipers, it takes more time to fill them so you get almost no response until they grab all of a sudden, when it feels like you are stopping faster.

The reason I gave the advice that I did was because I tried it. I know the pedal in the car felt exactly the way yours does. Mushy, but when the pedal goes almost all the way down, the car stops. I went to the store and got a new master that same day. When you put the correct MC in you will realize that you were wrong.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I am pretty much on the same page as you, and I know for sure I will have better brakes with the new m/c. But the thing I am disagreeing with is that people are saying 'it won't work at all' 'the pedal will go to the floor' 'it won't panic stop'.

Here is my big hang-up with this logic/question:

I live in a MAJOR city with LOTS of traffic, no matter what time of day/night. Our rush hour is about 16 hours long. Nobody uses public transportation. Nobody car pools. Everyone owns a car or two. (Just giving you a mental pic, so you can vision our traffic situation) Don't you guys think, in two 1/2 years I have ever been in a situation where some 'dumbass' has slammed on his brakes in front of me, pulled right out in front of me, ran the red light, etc.? It happens more like once a week. My brakes have never just 'not worked' like most of you are thinking.

Who knows, maybe on some Mustangs they'll work OK, but, really crappy on others. Maybe The other poster and I, just got lucky as far as that goes.

Again, I WILL be changing it this spring. (The car is in winter storage right now, so, I'm not in a hurry).

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
StangLX302 said:

Again, I WILL be changing it this spring. (The car is in winter storage right now, so, I'm not in a hurry).
Ditto

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have all new drums and pads in the back, 3-2 port conversion with the 95 MC, 73mm calipers with new pads and new discs. The bitch of it is I can't lock my front wheels up going 5 miles an hour let alone 35-75 mph. I've bleed the brakes about 10 times too. Do you guy's think it's the 17x9 cobras with 255x40x17 front and 275x40x17 rear nitto 555 extremes just gripping too much? I was a little dissipointed, it stops but I really have to push hard on the brake pedal....I think I should have gotten the 93 cobra MC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts