Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to use a 7 qrt drag racing style pan while road racing? I've got a ProMustang (Probe Industries) 7 qrt pan, it's got the big deep rear sump on the pan. I am a little concerned as to how well it will do in a road race application. Think there will be some problems with it? I think I might have the biggest problems while under braking (I have 13 inch cobra brakes on the front with 94 GT discs in the rear). Anyone have any input on this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would think that a drag pan would have you covered for accelerating and braking, but it might not do so well with lateral G's from cornering.

·
Administrator
1,464 Posts
I'm using a 7 quart drag racing pan. No problems whatsoever. The nice thing is that it doesn't interfere with the headers. You'll want to make sure that you have baffles to keep the oil pickup covered during hard braking and cornering.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
dh3 said:
How will it hurt cornering..just curious?
If you have a car that can turn really well you will starve the oil pickup with the stock pan when you take corners due to the G forces and lack of baffles to keep the oil in the right place.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Unless you've got a T-pan with the trap doors, the drag pan would actually be better at controlling the oil. Less area for the oil to slosh around in. The T-pan creates a huge area for the oil to slosh around which could uncover the pickup. If you have enough ground clearance with the drag style pan use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts