Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
The new 7.3 is a beast and way cheaper than buying a 4 bolt main 351w aftermarket block. The new 7.3 is a 4 bolt main and cross bolted. The big kicker that nobody is talking about is the mains are a little smaller than a 351c. So rpm could soar to 8000 rpms with the right rods. Crank is forged from ford. Plus the block is the graphite mix just like the aftermarket blocks. And has wedge heads from ford. Not a bad deal. I'm waiting for one for my foxbody. It's a no brainer. And I will have a/c and heat with a 10 speed auto. I'm there.

·
Old timer
5,772 Posts
Ain't going 8000 RPM with that POS intake manifold. :p

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Well....that didn't take long.

I was only able to watch the first few minutes (i'll watch all later), but....

1.) Brian Wolf helped usher this engine into existence before he retired from Ford. That's the word I've read in more than one article. And there he is in like the first 30 seconds with this engine sitting in a Foxbody.
2.) "When the motors released we'll have the K-member ready."
3.) "We're going to work with header manufacturers and have headers available too."

When this engine broke cover I read more than one person saying no way Ford will sell this as a crate engine. I said no way they won't. If anyone still thinks Ford Racing isn't going to be selling this as a crate engine, they're crazy.

Also, the opening "scene" the guy running the camera is standing outside in a t-shirt in Detroit. It sunny. This is not a video from the last couple months. I think this is from last summer. May have juts been uploaded, but it's not a recent video IMO.

Looking forward to this engine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ford lists the 2020 F-250 SRW with the 6.2 at 5677lbs. With the 7.3 it's 5782lbs, implying the 7.3 is 105lbs more than the 6.2. Internet engine weights are terrible and unreliable, but they're saying 580lbs for the 6.2 without accessories. So the 7.3 is potentially in the neighborhood of 700+ lbs fully dressed.

I weighed my truck 351 with accessories and intakes at 572lbs. A 460 weighs around 700lbs fully dressed.

This probably won't make a good circuit race car but if it makes good use of its displacement and puts out 800+hp NA it'd be a hell of a drag race motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 7.3 is lighter than a 5.8. To many variables looking at curb weight. Frame of truck, different options, 4x4 , wheels tires. The 7.3 is a small block with a big bore and a taller deck. Remember most of the 7.3 other than the block is mainly aluminum and plastic.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The 7.3 is lighter than a 5.8. To many variables looking at curb weight. Frame of truck, different options, 4x4 , wheels tires.
I'm pulling my numbers from here:

These aren't magazine test curb weights with varying options, these are Ford's base curb weights. In every case the 7.3 is heavier than the 6.2, and they do break it out by model, wheelbase, and even wheel size. And the 6.2 isn't light.

If you can post a pic of the engine fully dressed hanging from a hoist scale I'll believe you. Until then it's internet conjecture.

The 7.3 is a small block with a big bore and a taller deck. Remember most of the 7.3 other than the block is mainly aluminum and plastic.
The 7.3 has a wider bore spacing and taller deck than a small block, but not quite the size of a traditional big block. It's more of a "medium" block. Definitely not a small block.

Bore spacing:
4.380 -- Ford Y Block/SBF/Ford 335
4.400 -- SBC/LS/LT
4.460 -- Gen III Hemi
4.530 -- Boss 6.2/"Godzilla" Super Duty 7.3
4.630 -- Lincoln Y Block/FE/FT
4.800 -- Chrysler B/RB/Gen II Hemi
4.840 -- Chevrolet W 348 & 409/BBC Mark II, Mark IV, Gen. V, Gen VI, Gen VII.
4.900 -- 385 Ford (BBF)Boss 429/ GM DRCE 3

·
Old timer
5,772 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would do a 514 big block... 😇
Marcus Luttrell has a saying that we use around the shop:

"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing"

So a 557" seems about right. I've been wanting to do one for years. It is the 347" stroker of the BBF world any way.

As for the the 7.3L gas engine, it seems like the big X factor here is going to be how well the heads can be massaged. In the video they said the heads flowed 320 cfm in stock form, that seems like a decent number I suppose but I wonder at what lift that was and also how much further they can be taken. It is great that they have a 8 degree head with canted valves. The rwhp dyno and torque also had potential. It all seems promising.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I guess some people have zero experience in push rod motors. That 7.3 has the potential of making some serious torque with the right parts. Main bearing journals are a perfect recipe to put the hurt on a modular motor. As even the coyote reach its limits that's why ford racing came out with an iron block for serious hp levels. That engine doesn't weigh what you think. My 351c kills the 2020 gt500 bottom and top end. 351w has large main journals no matter what power adder you put 3 inch mains blow apart past 6500 rpms. I can push my Cleveland as hard as a modular motor. Having a 4.30 or 4.56 gear has it's toll at the end of the quarter mile. That is where the 351w is limited. I wouldn't waste money building a 351w just a time bomb ready to explode. The 7.3 has all the the right measurements to be a sledge hammer at the 1320's. Plus the fox boy is way lighter than the new Mustangs. But hey what do I know I build engines for a living and own the company. See you at the track.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Well I guess some people have zero experience in push rod motors. That 7.3 has the potential of making some serious torque with the right parts. Main bearing journals are a perfect recipe to put the hurt on a modular motor. As even the coyote reach its limits that's why ford racing came out with an iron block for serious hp levels. That engine doesn't weigh what you think. My 351c kills the 2020 gt500 bottom and top end. 351w has large main journals no matter what power adder you put 3 inch mains blow apart past 6500 rpms. I can push my Cleveland as hard as a modular motor. Having a 4.30 or 4.56 gear has it's toll at the end of the quarter mile. That is where the 351w is limited. I wouldn't waste money building a 351w just a time bomb ready to explode. The 7.3 has all the the right measurements to be a sledge hammer at the 1320's. Plus the fox boy is way lighter than the new Mustangs. But hey what do I know I build engines for a living and own the company. See you at the track.
John Mihovitz

·
Old timer
5,772 Posts

·
Old timer
5,772 Posts
Exhibit A evidencing the four valve modular engine is an absolute beast
Those "sealed" Coyote Stock engines are amazing too.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts