Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Cobra w/Vortech and MSD DIS 4. My number 6 cylinder is not firing.. I changed the coil packs and have the same problem... I'm lost at what to check next... The plug wire works fine and I have new plugs... I am getting spark to all the other cylinders.. Not sure if the MSD is causing the problem.. I've had the MSD for about 3 years with no problems.. I do not think if the MSD was bad that it would only effect one cylinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try this: get a test light, attach the ground clip to the engine (so that you get a good ground) turn the key to the run position. Touch the tip of the test lamp to the positive wire at the coil. it should light up fairly bright. if it doesn't, then the problem is between the key/ignition switch, and the wire that goes from there to the coil. If the test lamp does light up, turn the key off, and check for spark. Do this by removing a spark plug wire, inserting an extra spark plug into it, rest it so the plug touches the engine block, and crank over the engine. you should be able to see a spark at that plug. if you don't get a spark check the coil again, if there is spark, then it's the timing. Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bill check #1 as well. as #1 and #6 fire at the same time (tough only one is on the compression stroke). If #1 is firing and #6 is not it almost HAS to be the plug wire or it's connection to the coil tower. I know you replaced the coil pack, you may want to swap the two packs and see if the problem moves or you can check to be sure with an ohm meter. If you pull the connector off the coil pack you'll see three wires/"pins" the pin close to the #1 coil tower is the one for sending juice to cylinders 6&1. Make sure there's a good clean connection with that wire/pin.

Hang in there
Rob

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had the same problem when I changed the plugs and wires on my car. It was number 3. Turned out to be the Steeda plug wire.
Have you tried plugging one of your old ones back up in it's place?

worked for me
Steeda replaced the bad wire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on the problem....Both #6 and #1 are not firing.. I switched the coil packs and still have the same problem.. So I know it is not the coil packs... I'm leaning towards the MSD wiring, were it was spliced in.. If the car runs for a while it's like someone flips a switch and the car starts running fine...Any suggestions will help..

Thanks,
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts