Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been done before, and I believe that the person who did it was on these forums long ago. I was just wondering what tranny/driveshaft combo is needed to accommodate the swap. Canton released an oil pan specifically for this purpose so it must be rather easy to accomplish. Any info would be much appreciated because I have sourced a motor and I am looking to start ASAP. :joy:

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did you see Ford now has a supercharged v-10 made to run on hydrogen. The interesting part is it has forged internals which means you should be able to get the parts from a Ford dealer soon.

Click here for internal specs.

Engine Type, Configuration 6.8L 90-degree SOHC V10, cast iron block and aluminum heads with hardened seats
Intake Manifold Aluminum
Supercharger 3.3L/rev, twin screw compressor
Exhaust Manifold Cast stainless steel
Crankshaft Forged steel
Redline 5,000 rpm
Throttle Body Twin 60 mm, electronic
Valvetrain Hydraulic lash adjusters with roller followers, 2 valves per cylinder.
Valve Diameter Intake: 42.5 mm. Exhaust: 34.0 mm.
Pistons High-temperature forged aluminum alloy with low-friction coated skirts, ultra low oil consumption piston rings.
Connecting Rods Forged steel
Ignition Coil-on-plug, 9.5 AMP, Iridium- tipped spark plugs
Bore x Stroke 3.55 x 4.16 in. ( 90.2 x 105.8mm)
Displacement 415 cu. in. / 6,751 cc
Compression Ratio 9.4:1
Horsepower 235 @ 4,000 rpm
Peak Boost 18-20 psi
Torque 310 lb.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm
Fuel Injection Sequential multiport
Oil Capacity 6 quarts, with filter
Recommended Oil BP/Castrol Synthetic, 5W-20

·
Registered
104 Posts
Forged internals for V10

Stangs4life said:
Did you see Ford now has a supercharged v-10 made to run on hydrogen. The interesting part is it has forged internals which means you should be able to get the parts from a Ford dealer soon.

Hey guys

the major thing with that is having available the forged crank, the V10 shares common piston sizes and rod lengths with the rest of the modular family from what I have been told, which means that any of the excellent aftermarket rods and pistons from the 4.6L will work in the Triton V10, I have a 97 Triton V10 which I am currently fabbing up prototype DOHC heads for (essentially I will create a mock up and then take it to a model to casting facility to have a mould made and casted from). This of course requires a special crank with an offset firing angle & common rod journals in order to delete the balance shaft the V10's have on one cylinder head, which Im having sourced from the same shop Ford had make the one for the Boss 351 DOHC engine that you see in that video earlier in this post. This is a VERY time/money comsuming project, so you can imagine it will be some time yet before I have the motor ready to drop into a stang, I am very pleased to see Canton is making a pan for this swap, I didnt know that previously and was thinking I would have to cut, extend and TIG weld a pan together for it, so that saves me one step at least :king:

Ron
aka 2NAZTY

P.S. I currently have a set of 96 Cobra DOHC heads which Im going to cut, section and reweld to make a mock up of a V10 DOHC head, but I would rather use 03-04 Cobra or GT40-GT500 heads, if anyone has an idea where I might be able to find a set of either of those heads bare for a somewhat reasonable price please let me know, slightly damaged is ok, as we can clean out any flaws on the mock up or in the mould that will be made from it easy enough

·
Registered
307 Posts
The new F250 v-10 uses an aluminum 3 valve head. I know it is not as good as a 4 valve head but, it sure would be cheaper/easier. Yeah, the v-10 uses 5.4 rods and pistons.

·
Registered
104 Posts
V10 DOHC

Stangs4life said:
The new F250 v-10 uses an aluminum 3 valve head. I know it is not as good as a 4 valve head but, it sure would be cheaper/easier. Yeah, the v-10 uses 5.4 rods and pistons.
Hey

I have considered that, but in order for this to be a decent performing engine, it needs to lose its balance shaft, thats one thing the 3 valve still has due to crank firing angle and split pin crank, if I am reworking this motor to be in essence a larger displacement version of the Boss 351 V10 DOHC, it needs to perform at least on par with that motor and dodges pushrod V10, when Im finished this project, the only part of the motor that will be original will be the block LOL, in order to try and recover some of my development costs incured in making the moulds I may offer the parts for sale as a do it yourself type of kit

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would be interested in 4v heads and cams. What intake are you thinking of, the one on the hydrogen powered v-10 looks interesting if you want to supercharge it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
V10 DOHC

I would be interested in 4v heads and cams. What intake are you thinking of, the one on the hydrogen powered v-10 looks interesting if you want to supercharge it.
Hi

I will be fabricating a new intake for the DOHC heads, unfortunatly the 3V heads would use a diffrent intake port and would not fit 4V V10 heads, I was planning on twin turbocharging my DOHC V10 project, it might be more feasible if I do end up making the parts avaible for sale, to offer turnkey motors, since all that will really be left from the original is the block itself

Ron
aka 2NAZTY

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm moving forward with a 3v v-10. I know you can get good power out of 3v motors as my 06 Mustang is running 12's on street tires at just 5 pounds of boost. Hopefully by spring I will have something together and running. If I do I will post it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is a guy on the north side of indy that has a v-10 in an sn95 platform. If I can find him on one of my indy forums i'll send him in your direction.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the V10 in the video is a prototype V10 ford built off of a 4.6 engine the 6.8 is based of of the 5.4. the only problem i've heard of doing a V10 swap is finding a hood, the the extra cyclinder on the front with the tall deck will be a problem. The only pic I've ever seen the 2 forward cyl were taller than the fenders, but that was 4 or 5 years ago so then pan may let it set lower

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, that is a concern but if every other hurdle gets crossed then I will worry about finding/making a hood.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My thought is that being base on a 5.4 if the motor mounts are in the same place, not moved forward any, then the only problem as for putting it in would be the radiator/assory clearness, you may have to use a pusher fan . As for wiring/computer you have 2 choices, 1- find a V10 truck and pull the harnes out or have some one do it for you, 2-use an aftermarket computer harness, I think Fast can controll 4 to 12 cylinder engines so it is just up to you

I'll go ahead and tell you that there is going to be alot of fab work as far as i know there is no headers for you app so be prepared.

So good luck if you can pull it off it will be one cool ride

·
Registered
307 Posts
The headers look fairly straight forward as I have pics of someone elses completed car.

Motor mounts on block are in the right spot already from what I have heard from others. I now I will run into problems along the way but, I have all winter so I will just ask back on here when I hit these problem areas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So now that we're nearly 10 years on, did you ever get your V10 swap project off the ground, Fatalvenom1377?

Better yet, did 2NAZTY ever make any headway in figuring out how to put together a set of 4v heads for the 6.8L V10 platform?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts