Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking into going to an automatic tranny in his 91 gt. What all does he need to make everything work?

·
Registered
225 Posts
pedal assy, trans, flexplate, converter, trans x-member, EEC, wire harness(runs from the driver's kick panel, under the driver's seat, into the trans tunnel), shifter w/ linkage, trans lines to rad, rad if the one he has doesn't have the ports for the auto lines. I think that's all of it, but this list is from me changing from an auto to a 5-speed, so I could've missed something. Not sure about the speedo cable...I changed mine because it started life as a 4-cyl and I had the 5.0 5-sp one from my donor anyway.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
we are actually doing the opposite, probably next weekend. From what I understand, there is very little difference with the ecu's and you can use your old computer, you just need the backup wiring harness part.

If you need parts to convert to an aod setup, We can probably sell you everything you need besides the tranny (as long as my bro is willing)

shoot me an email

[email protected]

·
Registered
493 Posts
why would u want an auto? a factory auto can't handle gobs of extra power, so u must have adequate power, and a 5 spd is much more fun to drive than a slow auto...??

·
Registered
351 Posts
massguy1980 said:
why would u want an auto? a factory auto can't handle gobs of extra power, so u must have adequate power, and a 5 spd is much more fun to drive than a slow auto...??
There are people out there who prefer auto over manual.. or want a change..

-LJ

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
massguy1980 said:
Extremely consistent time slips when professional or competition racing that you just can't get with a 5 speed, unless you are within the top 5% of drivers.

An aod can be easily built to handle gobs of power, shift kit, valve body, torque converter, etc etc.

Most people do it when they get hardcore into drag racing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the guy is running pretty much the same setup as me. The 5-speed tranny is a borrowed one from a friend. He wants to go to an auto for something different for one thing. Another is that an auto dosent break as many things like a stick does. He is getting a c-4 not an aod.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
massguy1980 said:
1. An auto is more consistant. No missed shifts, etc.
2. Why can't an auto handle the power? Any decently built AOD will hold up wayyyyyy longer than a T-5. (Come on T-5 guy's, how many times have YOU pulled your trans out for one reason or another?)
3. More fun to drive a 5-speed? If that GGrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound when you miss 3rd gear 7 times out of 10 is your idea of having fun............???
4. Slow auto?? I have a whole group of Mustang buddies with automatics with 9, 10 and 11 second timeslips that'd like to race you.

P.S. Don't take my response too seriously, I'm just sorta messin' with you.:lol:

·
Registered
493 Posts
well we are talking here about stock t5 against a stock aod...t5 is king. anything can be built to be stronger.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
massguy1980 said:
well we are talking here about stock t5 against a stock aod...t5 is king. anything can be built to be stronger.
No arguement there, in fact it is well known that stock for stock the aod is practically a full second slower in the quarter mile than the t5.

When people do this swap, I assume they will be doing it properly by beefing up the aod before putting it in, or imo it is a waste of time.

Now, a t5 against an old c4, that is a different story.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lets just hope he is planning on beefing up that aod, other than that its pretty sad to spend so much time and money to convert just because you can't handle your stick....

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I agree on the stock for stock issue also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts