Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put in a autometer tach and thought that it would be more accurate than the stock one looked like i was hitting the rev limiter at 5600 well the new one says 5800 I was just wondering if it could be floting valves any help would be greatful.
By the way its a 86 with 65mm e303 custom intake and exhaust.
I know that it should be 6250 but there is no way it will go that high

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Valve float, maybe, with your set up you need to be shifting around 5700 anyways. Valve float is a good possibility, but if you have stock heads/intake you are wasteing your motor. So I see no reason to try to turn it any harder unless you want to build a new motor soon.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like it is best if I shift around 5000 whitch seems to me like there is a problem is there anything else that could be holding me back?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you are running factory valve springs, it's 100% certain that you are floating valves with the E cam. The reason I love Ford parts though.....theoretically the E cam should float worn springs between 4000 and 5000 rpm. You're getting 5800.....Ford kicks ass. Oh yeah, you're revving past the potential of your combo it sounds. Get some new valve springs (the crane 375 lb. single springs), and shift at 5500.

·
Registered
423 Posts
with tfs heads and street int. e-cam all the other bolt ons i shifted n/a at 5600-5800 on nitrous it would pull forever

1 - 7 of 7 Posts