Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess Steve at HP said it best...."get a trailer, you're gonna need it some day..." Any other advice?

Bill
Houston

·
Registered
431 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would say thats pretty good advice. Seriously though the only thing I can say is use it, but DONT abuse it. much :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
DO NOT POWERSHIFT INTO 3RD GEAR!!!

3rd gear is the weak point of the T-5. For it to have any chance for survival, i recommend that you DO NOT powershift from 2nd to 3rd. Powershift from 1-2, shift normally from 2-3 then powershift from 3-4.

Granted, you lose a little ET with this, but at least you'll be able to drive home.....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'd advise you get a C4 :D Or if that's not in the cards, at least don't power shift.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
T-5

My totally stock T-5 has piloted my lx to sixty feet in 1.315 seconds. It consistently sixty foots in the mid 1.30's. I would'nt expect it to last forever, but I have over 75 passes on mine with a 408 in front of the tranny. I also do not powershift ANY of the gears. It is difficult to shift past 6500 RPM's. This winter I'm swapping out the T-5 for a 'glide and installing an NOS Bigshot!. Check out my signature for my 1.315 sixty foot pass all motor on the stock 140,000 mile T-5....James

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi,

My advice is to pull that tranny out now while it's still in one piece and you can still get some money for it, sell it, and put the $$ towards a Tremec if you wanna stay a stick guy, or a built C4 (or AOD if you still want to have OD).

HTH,
Jim

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't expect it to last long. I'm putting out about 100 hp less than you and I am on my 3rd T5 in the last 6 months. The last one let go just climbing through the rpm range in 3rd gear. It had less than 200 miles on it. If it does last count yourself lucky and never talk about your luck. I was talking about how lucky I was that my T5 was still going 5 minutes before I blew out 3rd gear. I never talk about my "luck" any more.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I sold mine here on the Corral before it broke for around $400 and put a new Tremec 3550 in. My Tremec doesn't shift as smooth as my T5 did. I have had some problems shifting it in high RPM's into 3rd. I kinda wish I went with a C4. Since I switched from GM Synchromesh to Dexron III it is better. The T5 can ship UPS.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stock T-5

I really appreciate all the replies...and it's obvious the T-5 is not suited to hard racing for long. Still, as always, it's a matter of when to spend more money, and what to get. It's still a streetable car, and I do enjoy the manual. So while I will be looking at a good built C-4 I'll also be looking at a TKO II. I shift at 5700-5800 rpm, so that doesn't seem to rule out the Tremec. I'll also have to get more familiar with how a built C-4 drives on the street, since I'll put more miles on it there than at the track.

Either way, thanks for all the good advice, admonitions and the occasional disaster pic...they are most welcome.

Bill

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
since the tremecs do not always shift nice you could put G-FORCE gears in your t-5, they are 30 percent wider and made out of aircraft steel instead of cast, G-FORCE says they are stronger than tremec,s, they are not cheap though

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Call these guys. Great stuff

DYNAMIC™ Racing Transmissions
Tech Questions & Orders: (203) 315-0138
24-Hour Fax: (203) 315-0352

Torque Converter Techniques
Tech Questions & Orders: (203) 483-9508
24-Hour Fax: (203) 315-0352

E-mail: [email protected]

-tyler

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Bill, you should hook up with some of us at a Westside Mustangs event. Plenty of cars you could ride in/drive with differnt transmission. (built AOD's, Blue Printed t-5's, C-4s, Tremec 3550 and TKO's)

There will be a lot of us going to Sealy on Saturday.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tranny

thanks, chuck, I think that would be a great idea. I've got plans for most of Saturday, but I will post in the Westside forum and try to hook up in the near future. I'll be out at Baytown for Test & Tune probably early February, MAYBE last weekend in January (but I'm getting work done on the car next week, so I may be testing local before I go to Baytown.)

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
128 Posts
just a thought - a Jerico 4 speed designed to be street driven is $2400.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts