Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven my car for about 500 miles with the new 331 stroker engine...would now be a good time to change the oil again? I did the first oil change after the initial drive and break in. When should I consider putting synthetic in her? Also, when is it safe to start revving up to where shes supposed to be revved?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its perfectly acceptable to flog it at 1000 miles. Do an oil change then. The bearings are still tight, but I dont think it will hurt it to drive it hard at 500 miles. Dont forget that oil change, get all that ground up metal out of there.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
contrary to popular belief if an engine is built correctly you can flog it right away, just think motors come off the engine stand and on to a dyno, Dynos Stress motors. Just change your oil after first 10-15 minutes of running, then put another oil change and filter in and then have fun after about 2-300 miles change the oil again and then at a 1000. after that add synthetic. Most race motors "which are the motors that are Truly stressed" are never broken in, I know personally 3 engine builders for SCCA cars that have to withstand much more abuse than most cars that tell me that a engine doesnt have to be broken in. I know I will get some people that will argue with me but to each his own

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Rich Gill said:
contrary to popular belief if an engine is built correctly you can flog it right away, just think motors come off the engine stand and on to a dyno, Dynos Stress motors. Just change your oil after first 10-15 minutes of running, then put another oil change and filter in and then have fun after about 2-300 miles change the oil again and then at a 1000. after that add synthetic. Most race motors "which are the motors that are Truly stressed" are never broken in, I know personally 3 engine builders for SCCA cars that have to withstand much more abuse than most cars that tell me that a engine doesnt have to be broken in. I know I will get some people that will argue with me but to each his own
No arguement here. I totally agree with you. Now a days motors don't need all this breaking in stuff. Besides that was one reason rolelr motor's came out. Just change your oil like the above was mentioned, But now your car is going to be slower because you never got on it from the beginning. HURRY START BEATING ON THAT THING

·
Banned
604 Posts
Total break-in time..1/2 hour in the garage......break the cam in and beat the crap out of it......if somethin's gonna break..you want it to break right away....it would take me forever to put 1000 miles on ny car....if it runs..set the timing and drive it like it had 20,000 on it!!!

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
wow guys thanks for agreeing with me I figured for sure I would get busted on for saying that. you built a nice motor go have fun with it no need to tinker around.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure Rich, these SCCA guys build their motors and beat the crap out of them immediately without break in....however, these race engines are rebuilt very often. My engine needs to last for a while so it should be "broken in" somewhat. I haven't flogged it yet, but I have brought it up to 4000 revs. Above that to red line i'll probably wait till 1000 miles....but you're right about engines these days, they don't need as much break in as before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Proffesionally, I believe you read a bunch of crap here. Break in or sometimes called run in, is to get the parts to wear in evenly. Thats why you are not supposed to hold a steady rpm for any long period of time, or bog the engine or real high rpm. Do the break in.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
kermitas playtoy said:
Proffesionally, I believe you read a bunch of crap here. Break in or sometimes called run in, is to get the parts to wear in evenly. Thats why you are not supposed to hold a steady rpm for any long period of time, or bog the engine or real high rpm. Do the break in.
Yea just like brand new cars, Like vette's and viper's. The guy says not to rev it out because the parts need to wear :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Hey blackstallion if you already knew the answer to the post why did you post it? Also if you want to do a break in for peice of mind go for it , it wont hurt, personally I built a motor for a guy that was flogged after 100 miles and went over 100,000
but anyhow good luck:lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My real question was about the sythetic oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.