Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a mark 7 sittin in the yard being useless...and a mustang that is 4 lug, wanting to have more use...i know the front rotors will "bolt up" but its the axles im woried about...will i be able to take the whole rearend out, and swap it that way? or is there more to it than meets the eye?...and woud anyone have any idea what kind of gears those came with? its an 87, with essentially the same motor as the stang, and has the AXOD transmission. any help is greatly appreciated, as this swap is usually very expensive...

Thanx
Andy

·
Registered
442 Posts
The complete axle assembly can not be just "bolted-in" to the Mustang. The trailing arm brackets on the Lincoln are attached in a different postion than the Mustang and will cause and extreme pinion angle. The result will be violent wheel hop and early u-joint failure. If I remember correctly, the Lincoln rear axle also does not have quad shock brackets.

The Lincoln brakes and axles can be transfered directly to the Mustang housing and will require 8" wide wheels with 5.75" backspacing such as those found on '94 and newer Mustangs. The fender lips will also have to be rolled tight and no wider than a 245 tire used to avoid rubbing the fender.

The Lincoln's came with 3.08 or 3.27 gears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would i go about rolling the fender lips tight? and if the lincoln already has a set of "custom" wheels on it...would those work? not too sure on width or backspacing, but they are 15's...lol...like that helped any...ill check on the wheels when i get up tomorrow, as it will be a little warmer, and light out...lol

Andy

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Saleen wheels would work with this. This is the same brake setup that they used.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The MarkVII rear end is 1.25" longer per side than the Fox Mustang. You can use the Mark rear setup as is with the Saleen style wheels or any other ones with the same backspacing, or you "can" use 8" wide or narrower wheels if you want to roll the fenderwell. A friend has the SVO setup on his 86 GT and he is running 17x8 98 Cobras. His rear tires are out right about at the edge of the wheel lip. The Mark VII wheels would probably work since they are probably 7-8" wide. As an alternative, you can "flip" the brackets and with some grinding and a couple of welds, mount the brakes using Ranger axles and have the same rear width as stock. This is what I did. I have plenty of room with my current wheels and when (if) I get some 17x9 wheels I'll be set. Black306 has the instructions on how to do it here:

http://home.pacbell.net/black306/tech/reardisc.html

I really like the setup, it was a bit of work, but I took my time and did it all on another rear end I got. I also set up the parking brakes to work. And yes, the Mark VII does not have quad shock brackets, but from what I remember, I didn't notice any differences in the rest of the housing or brackets. In fact, I sold it to a friend to put in one of his project Mustangs. He is doing some work to it, so if the mounts are different, he will revise them.

Also check out Matt90GT's page for more brake info if you haven't already:

http://svo73mm.cjb.net

You will need to upgrade the MC and PV if you put on the 73MM MarkVII front brakes or the rear disc, also.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i had a set of SVO axles in my car with svo/lincoln rear discs.... with 96 17x8 cobra wheels and 245/45/17 rubber and it fit fine. I then switched to 01 17x8 cobra wheels with 275/40/17's and they hung out the sides and 1.5" or so. I switched to a set of ranger axles, flipped my caliper brackets and bolted everything back on... fits perfect now.... the brackets do require a lot of grinding and some welding to make them fit.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
brake parts

Can someone help? I have a set of 17"x 9" rims with 245/45R17 tire. Can I use just the brake parts from a lincoln with the stock four lug axles. What master cylinder and porportioning valve should I use to get the most out of this type of set up? Any help would be appreciated.

If this won't work any suggestion for a budget rear disc conversion.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
jimsstang88,

Yes, you can use the Lincoln Mark VII / SVO rear disc setup with the stock 4 lug axles if you flip and grind the brackets and redrill the rotors to a 4 lug bolt pattern. The stock 4 lug and the 5 lug Ranger/Aerostar axles are basically identical except for the extra lug and the bolt pattern. I was planning to go this route at first, and buy 5 lug wheels and tires at a later date, but I happened on great deals for the wheels & tires, so I went ahead with the 5 lug conversion at the same time. I talked to Matt90GT about it prior to starting and he didn't think there would be a problem using the 4 lug axles. He has posted the 4 lug option on his website also. As far as MC and PV, I would go with the SN95, say a 94-95 model and get the adjustable PV that fits in the passenger side coupling. You will need to gut and plug the stock PV and use a 3 to 2 port conversion for the MC - Matt has the plug and 3 to 2 port fittings on his webste. If you are going with the rear disc, but staying 4 lug, also upgrade the front calipers to the 73MM ones from the Mark VII / SVO. Read Matt's info and Black306's info on the flipped brackets, it may seem like a lot of work, but it is not too bad. It was the first real custom modification I've ever done to my car. Let me know if you're doing it and I can give you some pointers.

Good luck!

Thomas

·
Corral Charter Member
1,043 Posts
Blue88Notch said:
The complete axle assembly can not be just "bolted-in" to the Mustang. The trailing arm brackets on the Lincoln are attached in a different postion than the Mustang and will cause and extreme pinion angle. The result will be violent wheel hop and early u-joint failure. If I remember correctly, the Lincoln rear axle also does not have quad shock brackets.

The Lincoln brakes and axles can be transfered directly to the Mustang housing and will require 8" wide wheels with 5.75" backspacing such as those found on '94 and newer Mustangs. The fender lips will also have to be rolled tight and no wider than a 245 tire used to avoid rubbing the fender.

The Lincoln's came with 3.08 or 3.27 gears.
All true. But I'd advise against it. I did this install and even ater rolling both front and rear wheel wells (on a 92) I still had rubbing. At any kind of speed, if you load the suspension, the rear wells will still impact the tires, tearing a nice little gouge right at the shoulder of the tire.

You'd be better off going with Ranger driver's side 5 lug axles and reversing the Lincoln caliper brackets,which will accomodate the change in axle width. The Lincoln axles are 1.25 inches longer than stock.

·
Registered
904 Posts
jimsstang88

You can also use the Turbo Coupe rear disc set-up. Its a direct bolt on, as long as you have the axles. I have an extra set-up sitting here. I am planning a complete TC rear swap this spring.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You can use SVO e-brake cables to make the lincoln rear brakes work. A friend did this. You have to do some hunting to find them, but he found them with a few calls to some parts stores. The ends of the cables are the same as Lincolns.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts