Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding my 91 LX and my next step will be to do a 5 lug swap and discs all around. I've seen the package LMR offers and it looks nice. Mostly new parts and cobra calipers and bigger rotors. All in cost looks to be 3k +- for this kit. I came across the kit in the link below and wonder if anyone has experience with the vendor in general and/or the kit, specifically. For what it's worth I understand the rotors are smaller and the calipers a bit less robust than the cobras (though same manufacturer) along with use of used parts/lines. The upside is that its about 1k less than the LMR kit.

·
Registered
91 LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm rebuilding my 91 LX and my next step will be to do a 5 lug swap and discs all around. I've seen the package LMR offers and it looks nice. Mostly new parts and cobra calipers and bigger rotors. All in cost looks to be 3k +- for this kit. I came across the kit in the link below and wonder if anyone has experience with the vendor in general and/or the kit, specifically. For what it's worth I understand the rotors are smaller and the calipers a bit less robust than the cobras (though same manufacturer) along with use of used parts/lines. The upside is that its about 1k less than the LMR kit.

forgot to post the link:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pull most of the parts at a junk yard yourself and get north racecar fox caliper brackets... Way way cheaper, retains the fox track width and allows for wide wheels on the back

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
The kit you list is essentially a 1999-2004 Mustang GT/V6 brake setup. It's missing the 93 cobra master cylinder, the 93 cobra/94-95 booster and the 3-2 conversion, adjustable prop valve and plug to gut the stock prop valve. Add another $250-300 for those parts on top of that.

At that point, your main decision is Cobra 13" brakes or the GT 10.9" brakes.

If you piece it together you can save some money, but then you have the headache of tracking down the parts.

Reactions: EvilGooses

·
Registered
123 Posts
The kit you linked is through mps auto salvage. I’ve had good experiences with them in the past.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't let the smaller rotors make you feel Inadequate. Keep in mind the cobra brakes were engineered for a Heavier car that had ABS. The kit you linked will be way more than sufficient and won't lock up as easily.

The kit you linked is good. But Read Mustang5l5 post.
Do t forget the MM-MMBAK3 - 87-93-Mustang-Brake-Line-Adapter-For-93-Cobra-Master-Cylinder.

If I did it all over I would go your route and save the Money.

·
Registered
91 LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kit you list is essentially a 1999-2004 Mustang GT/V6 brake setup. It's missing the 93 cobra master cylinder, the 93 cobra/94-95 booster and the 3-2 conversion, adjustable prop valve and plug to gut the stock prop valve. Add another $250-300 for those parts on top of that.

If you piece it together you can save some money, but then you have the headache of tracking down the parts.
Thank you very much for your response. It is exactly what I was looking for. One follow-up question, however. How much better is the Cobra set-up? From the little research I've done so far it looks like PBR made the calipers for both and that the only real difference is the size of the caliper. Now, while I'm not a brake engineer I understand the benefit of a larger caliper but I do wonder how much additional benefit I get should I swap to the Cobra's as opposed to the GT/V6's. Stated another way, I'm wondering how large the delta in performance is between the two options.

·
Registered
91 LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't let the smaller rotors make you feel Inadequate. Keep in mind the cobra brakes were engineered for a Heavier car that had ABS. The kit you linked will be way more than sufficient and won't lock up as easily.

The kit you linked is good. But Read Mustang5l5 post.
Do t forget the MM-MMBAK3 - 87-93-Mustang-Brake-Line-Adapter-For-93-Cobra-Master-Cylinder.

If I did it all over I would go your route and save the Money.
Thank you for this reply. I read and replied to Mustang5L5's post before reading yours. I think you may have sold me on going the GT/V6 route. I don't plan on racing the car and am really just looking to get some "cooler" wheels on the car and upgrade the pretty crappy brakes the car came with.
I'll do a bit more homework into that company and would definitely appreciate any feedback from actual customers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
MPSauto (the seller) is a good company. Have purchased spindles, racks any many 03 cobra parts from them. They all know mustangs well and they take care to pull, inspect & clean their parts. 100% confidence in that company the last 10 hrs. Call them and talk to them.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
91 LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MPSauto (the seller) is a good company. Have purchased spindles, racks any many 03 cobra parts from them. They all know mustangs well and they take care to pull, inspect & clean their parts. 100% confidence in that company the last 10 hrs. Call them and talk to them.

Hope that helps
That helps. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thank you for this reply. I read and replied to Mustang5L5's post before reading yours. I think you may have sold me on going the GT/V6 route. I don't plan on racing the car and am really just looking to get some "cooler" wheels on the car and upgrade the pretty crappy brakes the car came with.
I'll do a bit more homework into that company and would definitely appreciate any feedback from actual customers.
If wheels are your concern, you should be doing north racecar rear caliper brackets and fox length 5 lug axles. You will run into fitment issues with wheels otherwise.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Thank you very much for your response. It is exactly what I was looking for. One follow-up question, however. How much better is the Cobra set-up? From the little research I've done so far it looks like PBR made the calipers for both and that the only real difference is the size of the caliper. Now, while I'm not a brake engineer I understand the benefit of a larger caliper but I do wonder how much additional benefit I get should I swap to the Cobra's as opposed to the GT/V6's. Stated another way, I'm wondering how large the delta in performance is between the two options.

The cobra caliper is actually smaller than the GT/V6 caliper. Less pad surface area, however the net braking performance is greater due to mechanical advantage with the larger rotors. Larger "levers" = greater stopping force. However, those larger rotors also soak up a lot of power trying to accelerate.

To simplify things, look at it this way. The smaller GT/V6 brakes are more ideal for drag racing. Less rotational mass, and will fit inside smaller wheels. The cobra brakes are more for road racing. Larger rotors absorb more heat, therefore can take more stops while resisting fade. Side by side, on the first stop, both setups will likely brake roughly the same. However as you accelerate and brake again, and again, and again, the cobra brakes will begin to outshine the GT brakes.

Also, there is looks. Large brake rotors look great in 17" and bigger wheels. The cobra calipers are arguably more aesthetically pleasing too.

Really it's 100% your decision. MPS is fantastic to deal with. I had an issue on some parts and they made it right with little hassle.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I know MPS is a good vender - I've used them myself. But their statement that the 79-86 Mustangs have to use the later 87+ a-arms with this kit is just wrong. The a-arms through 93 are all the same length. It's the K-member that is different on the 87+ V8 cars. We all know this. Why did they get it wrong?

In any event, I agree with Mike. The Cobra brakes were designed to shed heat and not fade after multiple high-speed stops in a relatively heavy car. However, the 93 Cobra R ran a similar set-up. When road racing or doing HPDE events, the bigger brakes do shine. And they look better behind the wheel.

·
Registered
428 Posts

What is the 3-2 conversion?

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
What is the 3-2 conversion?
The stock 87-93 master cylinder has 3 ports. The 4-wheel disk masters use a 2-Port mc. Maximum motorsports sells kits that join the two front brake lines together with a Union and plumb it into the stock brake line routing allowing you to easily adapt to the 2-port MC of choice.

For example

There is also a way to do it using the rear port off a non-abs SN95 mustang and a front left brake line from a 94-95. Looks a little cleaner IMHO as you don’t have an extra Union and lines This is how I did mine.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you piece together make sure you get the Cobra master cylinder and brake booster. I have the larger Cobra brakes on the front and 95 GT on the rear. I installed with the new master cylinder and was not happy with stopping power. I got a 93 Cobra brake booster from O'Reilly and now it works great. The booster was quite a challenge to install with the engine in place, just took some patience.

·
USAF retired
9,541 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts