Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told conflicting info and I could not find a definitive answer through searching so what I need to know is if 5.95" bs rims will work on a fox without any problems or mods.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That's the BS of a '93 Cobra wheel. It will work but it will sit real far inboard. It'll be tight in the rear and you may need a spacer in front to clear the struts. On my car I had the correct '93 Cobra rotors (with the tall hats) on it and clearance was tight between the tire and my coilovers. You will also probably introduce issues with clearance between the A-arm and the wheels while turning at the locks.

What you can do is get the specs for (or measure) your existing wheels and then figure out where your new wheel will sit relative to you existing wheels. If you wheels are say 4.95"bs and you've got 1/2" between your wheels and the struts now there is just NO WAY a 5.95"bs wheel is going on without a spacer.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
9 deuce GT said:
No way it's going on a fox Huh! Hows this look!
That looks great. Now re-read my post :).

I told him to check the clearance with the wheels he has now. Assuming he had a stock 4.95 bs wheel, if there is less than an inch to play with 5.95 isn't gonna fly. If there was, then life is good.

Your car has a 5-lug conversion, and hopefully a brake upgrade while you were at it. The fit for your car is going to be different than his. Remember that he wants to but a 5.95bs wheel on 'without any problems or mods'.

Shawn

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Backspacing means nothing without knowing the overall width of the wheel. A 7" wide wheel with 5.95" backspacing would look really stupid, a 9" wide wheel with 5.95" backspacing fits perfectly (as evidenced by 9 deuce GT's pics).

There should be zero clearance problems with 5.95" backspacing, regardless of whether the car has 5-lug brakes or not. FRPP sells 4-lug versions of the wheels 9 deuce has to fit the Fox cars.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, BTW I have the stock 4-lug setup and welds (15x5 and 15x8) so a stock wheel comparision is not doable, but my rears are 5.5 bs with 10.5 x 26 M/Ts and to overcome clearance issues I had to remove the quads AND use 0.25" spacers, I have not checked if there was a problem in the front using these rims.

If the 5.95" bs wheels are even further inside the well - I do not think I have the room. I just was not sure if anyone else had done this with the stock setup and what bs and tire combo was necessary. I am asking all of these questions are because I found some sweet 17x9 5.95 bs rims and was hoping they would work - Oh well, I guess saving my money is not so bad.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have17x9 R58's on both of my cars and had only to do some minor clearancing of the rear inner and outer fenders for tire clearance when cornering hard. I still had the quads(flipped) on the 88 GT when it had the R's on it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Shawn95GTRag,

Thanks for the compliments. But back to the original post, he want's to know if a 5.95" backspace wheel will fit on a fox. You told him it will probably need a spacer. It will not. Yes I have a 5 lug converion, but it is using Ranger axles. They are the same length as stock axles. I also upgraded to Cobra brakes all the way around. He will more than likely need to get the Ford steering rack bushings, $5 for a package, for the front.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
9 deuce GT said:
Shawn95GTRag,

Thanks for the compliments. But back to the original post, he want's to know if a 5.95" backspace wheel will fit on a fox. You told him it will probably need a spacer. It will not. Yes I have a 5 lug converion, but it is using Ranger axles. They are the same length as stock axles. I also upgraded to Cobra brakes all the way around. He will more than likely need to get the Ford steering rack bushings, $5 for a package, for the front.
I said no such thing. I stand by what I said:

'If you wheels are say 4.95"bs and you've got 1/2" between your wheels and the struts now there is just NO WAY a 5.95"bs wheel is going on without a spacer'.

That doesn't say it won't fit without a spacer. That says if you have 1/2" of clearance now a wheel with an inch more of backspace will not fit without a spacer. It is VERY easy to measure around your current wheel to figure out where the wheel you are concidering will fit.

With the ranger axles retaining the stock 'hub face to hub face' width on your car then yeah it is a good measure as to whether they'll fit a Fox genericly. If he's looking at a 17x9 with 5.95 bs wheel in four bolt he's good to go 'without any problems or mods'.

Shawn

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good info guys -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts