Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
"All the information I needed to complete this swap was found on this forum but there's too many threads to post."
-That's exactly how I feel. Been doing a lot of research and it's very time consuming.

"Hopefully this simple guide will save someone some time by putting some of the information on one thread."
- It sure will! It couldn't have come at a better time as I just received my boss intake. Its like you wrote this just for me! THANKS!

Lastly, can I ask questions and add info or would you prefer to keep your thread uncluttered? (hence PM?)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any dyno numbers?
Not yet. I'm going to add longtubes and a centrifugal supercharger before it hits the dyno.

"All the information I needed to complete this swap was found on this forum but there's too many threads to post."
-That's exactly how I feel. Been doing a lot of research and it's very time consuming.

"Hopefully this simple guide will save someone some time by putting some of the information on one thread."
- It sure will! It couldn't have come at a better time as I just received my boss intake. Its like you wrote this just for me! THANKS!

Lastly, can I ask questions and add info or would you prefer to keep your thread uncluttered? (hence PM?)

I'd rather have it posted on the thread that way the info is posted for anyone that needs it.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Good luck with the build. Just as an FYI a centrifugal blower on a 5.4 requires a few custom pieces like the front timing cover needs to be modified, the idler pulley bracket, and the main blower bracket. I finally got mine installed and running. Not tuned but that is next. My thread on here is called Project: Stupid Unicorn.

-Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck with the build. Just as an FYI a centrifugal blower on a 5.4 requires a few custom pieces like the front timing cover needs to be modified, the idler pulley bracket, and the main blower bracket. I finally got mine installed and running. Not tuned but that is next. My thread on here is called Project: Stupid Unicorn.

-Mark
Thanks

Yes I I'm having the timing cover worked on now.

I couldnt find any form of FI for these 5.4s that didn't require modification unfortunately.

I was hoping to go turbo but the only ways I saw it done were either A/C delete or relocating the oil filter adapter.

So I'm going to give the centrifugal a shot.

I followed your thread for a while, and it's a nice build.

·
Registered
480 Posts

I put together this simple guide on the parts and steps I used to get the old sohc engine out and the 5.4 dohc into the car.

All the information I needed to complete this swap was found on this forum but there's too many threads to post. Hopefully this simple guide will save someone some time by putting some of the information on one thread.

I'll add more pictures as I find them.
Fantastic job. There will be many who appreciate the sharing of your swap knowledge!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looks really good, and great job getting it under the hood!

You don't have to modify the front cover at all if you are fabbing your own blower bracket. Actually I prefer using the cover in its stock configuration because I can use the idler to get a ton of wrap on the blower belt. Almost wish I had gone with a turbo set-up but after getting use to the car I think the centrifugal is a good choice. For me it seems to compliment the engine well, the motor makes a bunch of tq down low and is smoother with the boost coming on a little later. Like you guys, if anyone needs a hand/advice I'm here to help with the swap too

·
Registered
536 Posts
dumb question... I am getting close to finishing the build on my longblock. As far as a clutch and flywheel, the crankshaft is the 8 bolt pattern. Will a clutch and flywheel for any 8 bolt pattern work? My '02 GT I believe had an 11" clutch, but there are 9.5" and other variations. Does it matter as long as the clutch matches the flywheel?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any clutch required, or doesn't matter as long as it is a clutch meant for a 4V?
I actually used my 2v clutch. I had a brand new Excedy Stage 2 but it was a 10.5" clutch.

Since my 2v had a 6 bolt flywheel I sourced one from the 96-98 Cobra. They use the 8 bolt flywheel with the 10.5" clutch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks really good, and great job getting it under the hood!

You don't have to modify the front cover at all if you are fabbing your own blower bracket. Actually I prefer using the cover in its stock configuration because I can use the idler to get a ton of wrap on the blower belt. Almost wish I had gone with a turbo set-up but after getting use to the car I think the centrifugal is a good choice. For me it seems to compliment the engine well, the motor makes a bunch of tq down low and is smoother with the boost coming on a little later. Like you guys, if anyone needs a hand/advice I'm here to help with the swap too
Thanks for the info! :grin2:

I had to put the supercharger on hold. I'm dropping the engine with the k member out of the car to install some long tubes, k-member spacers, and maybe some new cams if I can get the cash soon enough.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fantastic job. There will be many who appreciate the sharing of your swap knowledge!
Thanks Philly!

By the way guys if you need a Boss intake Philly is the man to talk to.
One of the best online sellers I've ever had the pleasure to do business with.

Reactions: phillyc

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
really cool thread. looks like an accomplished build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Iwas pretty surprised about how straightforward this swap was. Longtubes where the hardest part of this whole thing. I had to cut one pipe and shift and reweld it. on the drivers side, I had to bend the already indented runner to clear the shaft. doesn't seem to have effected the car any. I would have loved to run a Boss 260/290 intake with a cobra style TB. Wound up doing adapter plates and a boss 302. All in all, good running car. Not sure how long the T-45 is going take it, but its definitely been fun to drive. Was trying to get he on the rollers this Sat, family emergency had me push to the right one week. I like how you notched the hood, under the scoop!! I had to cut a whole in front of the scoop.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Iwas pretty surprised about how straightforward this swap was. Longtubes where the hardest part of this whole thing. I had to cut one pipe and shift and reweld it. on the drivers side, I had to bend the already indented runner to clear the shaft. doesn't seem to have effected the car any. I would have loved to run a Boss 260/290 intake with a cobra style TB. Wound up doing adapter plates and a boss 302. All in all, good running car. Not sure how long the T-45 is going take it, but its definitely been fun to drive. Was trying to get he on the rollers this Sat, family emergency had me push to the right one week. I like how you notched the hood, under the scoop!! I had to cut a whole in front of the scoop.
That Boss 302 intake looks awesome on these 5.4s, I wanted to run the 5.0 Coyote but I could decide what to do about the throttlebody.

What throttle body and what size k member spacers did you use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess I have the same question as above about K-Member spacers. You mentioned that when doing the swap is the best time to add spacers, however I think I read right that you didn't use any? Is that the case and seams like the stock GT hood still closed? I hope so as I really don't want to use spacers or modify my suspension in any way for this swap.

Also, with the added weight of the motor, did you notice any drop in the front suspension height? (I doubt it weights enough to be noticeable)

Lastly, I did some reading about oil pumps. Correct me if I'm wrong... Most 2 Valve motors got the lower volume pump. Many 4.6 DOHC motors received the higher volume pump to help lubricate all the additional components in the heads at higher rpms. The navigator motor was equipped with a low volume pump as it was never meant to rev very high. IF that is all true...
Which pump did you use as I don't think I saw any mention of you swapping pumps.

Thanks for all the help youve provided with my swap so far. Also, all future swappers will be grateful too!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts