Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, im putting pics and progress of my build on here. im putting a 5.4 dohc navigator engine in my 1998 mustang gt 5 speed. im on a tight budget right now so all im going for at the moment is a solid running stock navi engine in my car. early next year will call for bored out .020 pistons and stage 2 and 3 cams with upgraded valvetrain along with milled heads for higher compression. will def update as i upgrade. now, for some pictures.
i stripped everything down
the block was honed and new bearings and seals
i have a new gasket set and headstud kit
i fully rebuilt the longblock so far and pics will be added soon
i installed the lower intake manifold with the factory fuel rails and the new bosch 30# injectors
there is all new timing chains all accessories besides the alternator is on
my alternator and bracket came to my house today and ready to install
the new motor is a few things short of finished, waiting on parts especially custom fabbed upper intake manifold which will not get here for a couple of weeks im starting to get anxious :crazy:
by then, the new engine will be installed and ready to go
for now, im going to post a couple more pics, and thanks for looking!!!
my new 3.73 ring and pinion set-already installed :burnout:
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5955/img0033lt.jpg
when i first stripped it down to the longblock
[IMG]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4031/img0149fhr.jpg
valve covers pulled (navi head intake ports are awesomely large):banana:
[IMG]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5567/img0152ve.jpg
quick shot of navi head
[IMG]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1078/img0150mo.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
In the links put
after the link and they will show up embedded in the post.

Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my new toy

when i first stripped it down to the longblock

valve covers pulled (navi head intake ports are awesomely large):banana:

quick shot of navi head

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the longblock if 98% rebuilt except a broken bolt on the valve covers. the timing chains, timing cover along with all new gaskets are installed. crank pulley, idler, and tensioner is on. its starting to look like an engine again lol. intake is here and working on mods.also my throttle body came in today. i need suggestions for fuel rails i need a return style setup that will work with the coyote. 05 3v f150 fuel rails will work with the intake but that is returnless. any thoughts? also need to relocate alternator and nobody makes the relocation brackets anymore. any pointers??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update-
i snagged a 75mm off ebay for $50 new. i wanted an 80mm but the cheapest one was $225 i need a spacer to mount it to the intake and thats in the works right now. as for an update: i started taking out the old engine. i have everything organized and i have it down to the longblock. tomorrow it will be out of my car and i will start putting cleaning up the engine bay. tom also calls for putting my new flywheel and clutch on the navi engine. waiting for the new 98 cobra valve covers instead of my COP valve covers. i also am going to start selling off some of my old parts. i also found the way i am going to make brackets for the reverse mounted alternator. got a lot to do in not much time. will post pics i you guys want to see them

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
started taking out the old

working on the new

somebody got their engine out today :D
i think my t45 is asking for a new companion...what do you think??

·
Registered
101 Posts
what lower intake are you running?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
what do you plan on doing for exhuast? just stock logs?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what lower intake are you running?
tombstone is right. the coyote intake. i got it to be a solid seal yesterday. working on tapping new threads and figuring out how to fill in where there is no material. i will put on pics when i get the throttle body adapter and the intake fully bolted down

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Z06killer, i am waiting on a pair of cobra manifolds. they are sandblasted and soon to be polished or powdercoated when i get them.

im not going to convert to longtubes yet. i figured i would do that when i get the money to do headwork and high compression pistons later down the road. for now just a running stock longblock, thats what my budget limits me to right now. im full time in college and have a full time job

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Forget long tubes! just save up for a total hotside turbo build! :)

I wish I had the long tubes from my 5.4 for ya...I actually dont even remember where they went.

·
Registered
246 Posts
bump to see what happens with this

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forget long tubes! just save up for a total hotside turbo build! :)

I wish I had the long tubes from my 5.4 for ya...I actually dont even remember where they went.
you know, it funny you say that. i was thinking ahead of time and i think i might change directions with the full fledged overhaul when the time comes. my original plans were to have a N/A beast: bored .020 over forged flat tops, milled heads shooting for 11.0-11.5:1 compression, forged rods and crank, fully upgraded valvetrain including SS oversized valves, bronze guides, bronze valve seats, upgraded springs, stage 2 and/or stage 3 cams, dual pumps and larger injectors. shooting for around 425rwhp and 425rwtq N/A on a race gas tune then a daily driven 400 or so on 91. it will cost a couple bucks :evilgrin: OR.... dual turbo e-85 drinking, maybe water/ethanol injection monster. trying to generally price my options. im open to what you guys have to say about that, would love to hear some suggestions on what directions and possibilities there are. no superchargers, just high compression N/A or turbocharged

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes svt you are correct, the coyote intake is one piece. hey there hasnt been an update for a few days so bump...ha just messing. but really im going to update in a couple of days with plenty of pics. will be finishing up here soon

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it fit great tombstone. with a little elbow grease i got it to fit without being smashed against the heads and gave the injectors a whole .1". it was 100% sealed with no leaks and i did not have to port out where the injectors spray into the intake port. there is more than enough room for the injectors. my only problem is the throttle body location takes up the space where the alternator sits. this intake will work with a little massaging. nothing too complication.

will post pics and have updates when i get the rest of my parts in. hopefully everything will come in by friday. my thermostat housing came in today thanks to na svt. boss 302 intake, plug wires and coolant crossover tube will be hear by the end of the week.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts