Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,

I know there are plenty of discussions on this swap already but basically here is the story. I bought an 02 GT from auction a few years ago for 500 bucks as as project car. Had a blown motor. I was still new to cars at the time so after searching, I saw a somewhat built 5.4 engine that was in an 01 GT. To make a long story short, the engine is now in my car, and is running, after some modifications for the last year. Im pretty much done with project, it runs well. However, I got it tuned recently, and I think the car is underperforming so I have a few questions when it comes to this. I was under the impression that you could get these things in the 300s or close to it to the wheel, obviously making more tq than hp, but maybe not. Here is everything the car has:
-2000 F150 2v 5.4
-Ford Racing shorty headers
-24lb ford racing injectors
-Comp stage three cams (have to verify this, this is what I was told, it sounds like it has bigger cams but not sure if stage 3)
-Trick Flow intake system with adapter plates
-75mm SR performance throtttle body and Cold air intake
-Flowmaster high flow cats and exhaust
-410 rear
-Stock heads and fuel system
Car made after tuning 250/300 whp and wtq. The tuner told me thats all that car is going to make. I know these aren't huge power monsters, but I figured I could break 300, and to be honest 250 on that thing is a little lack luster.
So here are my questions... do you think that it should be making more? What should I do (minus forced induction) The car maxes out at 5200 rpms. I know the HPS hardballr intake is probably better since it gets more air and doesnt change the position of the injectors, but do you think it would make a big difference?

If I did go forced induction, is there anyway of getting the lightning supercharger (eaton m112 i think) under the hood without cutting it? I know a procharger would fit but Id rather go whipple for cost reasons. I have the stock hood right now and it clears, but probably upgrading to a cowl hood in the near future.

Thanks for the advice/help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey yall,

I know there are plenty of discussions on this swap already but basically here is the story. I bought an 02 GT from auction a few years ago for 500 bucks as as project car. Had a blown motor. I was still new to cars at the time so after searching, I saw a somewhat built 5.4 engine that was in an 01 GT. To make a long story short, the engine is now in my car, and is running, after some modifications for the last year. Im pretty much done with project, it runs well. However, I got it tuned recently, and I think the car is underperforming so I have a few questions when it comes to this. I was under the impression that you could get these things in the 300s or close to it to the wheel, obviously making more tq than hp, but maybe not. Here is everything the car has:
-2000 F150 2v 5.4
-Comp stage three cams (have to verify this, this is what I was told, it sounds like it has bigger cams but not sure if stage 3)
-410 rear
Car made after tuning 250/300 whp and wtq. The tuner told me thats all that car is going to make. I know these aren't huge power monsters, but I figured I could break 300, and to be honest 250 on that thing is a little lack luster.
So here are my questions... do you think that it should be making more? What should I do (minus forced induction) The car maxes out at 5200 rpms. I know the HPS hardballr intake is probably better since it gets more air and doesnt change the position of the injectors, but do you think it would make a big difference?

If I did go forced induction, is there anyway of getting the lightning supercharger (eaton m112 i think) under the hood without cutting it? I know a procharger would fit but Id rather go whipple for cost reasons. I have the stock hood right now and it clears, but probably upgrading to a cowl hood in the near future.

Also, I forgot to mention, its manual (Tr3650) and has the stock MAF... would upgrading that help?

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
201 Posts
Find out what cams you have...and what Intake exactly...you may have a mismatch

The trick flow intake (there are at least two) perform best in higher rpms

5200rpm doesn’t sound right to be maxing out at...you dont have stock springs in there do you? Again maybe the cake is limited to lower rpm

·
Registered
703 Posts
Any pics of the heads and intake adapters during assembly? I’m wondering if the heads or adapters are NPI or intermixing?

And as others said check the cams. If they’re off the shelf stage 3 or whatever stage cams designed for npi heads the lift is only .500”.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2000 F-150 motor, so the PI engine rated for 260 crank horsepower. Its got the trickflow streetburner intake on top of the adapter plates. Also i mistyped, its maxing out at 5800 rpms, not 5200

Ive been talking to the guy I bought the engine from. I bought it built so the intake and heads were already installed. As far I am aware, its got stock heads on it. All i did was add the throttle body and cold air intake basically to get it running. The guy is adamant that it has stage 3 cams (comp 270), which I will still verify once i have some time off after the holiday. He did say the springs were upgraded, but they werent degreed. That would be my guess as to why more timing was added in the tune, but it made less power (I attached the dyno sheet). Do you guys think its worth degreeing the cams and retuning it? Will it make a huge difference in power degreed, assuming it is stage 3?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You need more airflow, port the heads or Trick Flow heads will open up a lot more power. The tiny runners and valves give it super fast air velocity, especially down low, but really limit the total airflow in the higher rpm to start making power.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It’s making 300ft/lbs from about as low as the pull starts, but you can see how it falls off at 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could the stock maf be limiting the air its getting? Would upgrading to say, the 90mm maf off a lightning help?

·
Registered
142 Posts
1st off and for most, given the same head on either platform (4.6l or 5.4l) any stroke variance or bore variance, the horse power output will be the same. The larger engine max power production will come on sooner in the rpm simply due to the physics of it rotational geometry. In short, the same intake valve for either engine will produce the same hp. The torque output is a different story and collates with piston speeds.

How much hp will the stock intake valve allow naturally aspirated, you may ask. Roughly 425hp at the crack. Meaning drive train loss at the rear wheels will be 360rwhp

Now, the modulars are extremely picky to oil weights. If any heavier oils or delayed maintenance oil changes are inside, they will cause reduced hp.

Be sure to run an oil catch can on the pcv system. Residual oil spun off the cams get drawn into the intake track, destroying power.

Their are some tricks to bring your hp up a little bit with what you have, but will involve some internal work and let me be the one to remind you.....a 5.4l in a mustang engine bay is not mechanic friendly.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
201 Posts
Strap a blower on it like the Lightning...
The parts just aren't out there for a NA 5.4 2v build. Look what Ford had to do with the Cobra R

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Strap a blower on it like the Lightning...
The parts just aren't out there for a NA 5.4 2v build. Look what Ford had to do with the Cobra R
I would love to do this, but id rather not have to cut my hood. You think its possible to get it under a cowl hood?

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you want to make serious power N/A get trickflow heads . It makes great power 390/382 in my case on a 5,4 2V with a tremec 3650 . It's expensive but you will get there !

Reactions: 2k3GrandMarqLSE

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
its making the exact power it should, you basically have a stock engine with bolt ons nothing special

as has been said toss a set of trickflow heads on it and youll pick up 100rwhp easy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats about the same numbers I made in my grand marquis years ago when I did the 5.4 swap. I would have to agree with swapping in the Trickflow heads

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ryanrad39, do you know if your engine has a stock 4.6L Mustang oil pan? I would think the 5.4L truck pan won't work in a Mustang K member.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi ryanrad39, do you know if your engine has a stock 4.6L Mustang oil pan? I would think the 5.4L truck pan won't work in a Mustang K member.
I honestly can't remember, its been almost a year already since I swapped it. I bought it from another mustang owner so all I had to do is move certain lines and things and swap it in. I think it has the 4.6 pan, but I can't be sure to be honest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Truck pan interfere with stock Kmember. Stock mustang oil pan bolts on, works good, only youll have to bend the baffle fins down some. Youll want to use the mustang oil pick up tube as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will the 5.4 truck or 4.6 mustang exhaust manifolds clear knowing that the pipes will need to be fabbed? Good to know on the oil pan fit, thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey yall,

-2000 F150 2v 5.4
-410 rear

Depending on ur budget
Why not strap a on3 turbo kit 70mm is fine upgrade the injectors to at least 60 lb and drop a bbk 300lph fuel pump in it and easily will make 400. It's the easiest way to make a lot of power safely but cheap. I do this so many stock mustangs and it turns out amazing. Cost for everything about 3100. I mean for any stock 2v or even 4v I rec this due to the easy install if mechanically inclined and the available power when ready to forge the block.
Slot style maf
Injectors
Fuel pump
Turbo kit
Tune
K member

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts