Ford Mustang Forums banner
61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Well I can m cam out to check for my meter and found a bunch of converter chunks laying on the ground. They look in tack but they are likely toast. Thankfully it's just s visual here for them here and this year.

·
Registered
850 Posts
There's a lot going on here, but I've seen this before when someone tries to take a standard output 302 and convert it to MAF using a Mustang ECU.

The main issues. The wiring and firing order is different.

The 302 standard output ECU uses batch fire injection, while the Mustang MAF is using sequential injection which fires the injectors in sequence with the cam firing order. The wiring for the injectors is different between the batch fire SD ecu and the SEFI MAF ECU and two injectors need to be swapped. This can be done by swapping the pins at the ECU

First thing I would do is confirm the cam firing order. You would need to pull a valve cover and rotate the engine to observe valve events. yes it's a PITA but it will confirm what you actually have in there and then you can figure out your next course of action. Hopefully the cam does have a 1-3-7 firing order.

After that, you would need to confirm the injector wiring matches what should be correct for the A9L. There are a number of MAF ECU pinouts showing what injector goes to what pin, but i can provide one if needed. You need to test continity from injector to pin to make sure the injectors are wired in the correct 302HO/351 firing order.

Then, complete the MAF swap. skimming through some of the posts it looks like it was half done? This would be similar to the MAF conversion on a mustang where a few pins needs to be moved and added on the ECU connector.

I bet the cam and injector sequence is not matching up which is why it won't idle. You have two injectors firing at the wrong time. I would be those two cylinders are wet too.
Like mentioned here it's not as easy as sticking a Mustang mass air computer in the truck, adding the 4 MAF harness wires & go do burnouts.

The F150 being a bank fired fuel injection system, one pin on the 60 pin connector is for injectors 1-4 and the other pin is for injectors 5-8. The foxbody sequential fuel injection utilizes 8 individual pins on the computer for each injector. This means not only would you have to add 6 wires on the computer harness, but you would have to heavily modify the injector harness.
The logical method would be to replace the computer and injector harness with foxbody harnesses.

These other details are if you want the truck to run and operate properly and not throw trouble codes for missing sensors & monitors:

The F150 uses one oxygen sensor so you'll be adding an additional sensor before the Y pipe along with the wiring for that second sensor.

Add a two wire vehicle speed sensor harness along with the sensor on the AOD.

You will have to run a wire from pin 19 to the fuel pump relay for the fuel pump monitoring on the foxbody EEC.

If you posted some better pictures or maybe take video of the additional harness you found with the cut wires maybe we can identify it a bit better. Is it possibly a foxbody harness?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I didn’t even think about the f150 having a single wire per bank. Further evidence you really need to dig into what you have before deciding a path forward

Here’s the 60-pin eec pinout of a 1990 F150. Like said, only 1 injector output per bank.

Rectangle Schematic Font Material property Parallel
Font Number Parallel Rectangle Document

Reactions: BlackLX

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
And just to get the posts next to each other, here is a 1990 foxbody (SEFI ECU)

Font Material property Paper Book Music
Gesture Font Line Material property Paper

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well I can m cam out to check for my meter and found a bunch of converter chunks laying on the ground. They look in tack but they are likely toast. Thankfully it's just s visual here for them here and this year.
I have no idea what you're trying to tell us here....
converter chunks??

listening to the videos you definitely have misfire issues going on.

what computer is in the truck right now? you cannot run that A9M ecu in the truck with the truck harness.

like everyone is suggesting, before going any further you have to verify the camshaft events.
after that, put a new set of plugs in it.
rotate the engine to #1 @ 10 degrees BTDC & verify the rotor is pointing directly at the #1 spark plug post on the distributor cap.. if not, remove the distributor and install it with the rotor pointing at #1 with the engine at the #1 cylinder @ 10° BTDC.

with everything done correctly you can now fire it up and deal with whatever problems you encounter now that we know the camshaft is correct (if it turns out to be correct).

One step at a time here and you'll get it running correctly. Don't worry about the mass air conversion until you know the engine is squared away.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Here’s the 60-pin eec pinout of a 1990 F150. Like said, only 1 injector output per bank.

View attachment 1079571 View attachment 1079572
Yes that is correct. If you look at the old Motorsport mass air conversion kit for the trucks, it came with a lay over injector harness that plugged into the rest of the trucks harness. This was their answer to simplify the sequential injector wiring.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
what computer is in the truck right now? you cannot run that A9M ecu in the truck with the truck harness.

I went back and reread this thread and it appears he’s still running the stock F150 ECU, but has the mustang ECU handy. I mistakenly thought the mustang ECU was installed.

Also appears someone hacked up the 60pin, probably in a failed attempt to mass air convert it. Mass air meter was not wired. Would be helpful to get a few good pics of that.

Cam firing order is unknown. Should really be determined.

That’s my cliffs notes on where we are. OP can you confirm or add the facts of the case so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Correct
The truck has actual dual exhaust. I do see a second 02 sensor on the drivers side but it's not plugged into anything .
The maf Injector harness I have definitely isn't factory.
The catalytic converter must have blown out and made it out the tail pipes.
I'll get a video of the other harness later.
The A9M is NOT in the truck. Stock ecu.
Cam events and Injectors
I will confirm cam events before going any further.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I went back and reread this thread and it appears he’s still running the stock F150 ECU, but has the mustang ECU handy. I mistakenly thought the mustang ECU was installed.

Also appears someone hacked up the 60pin, probably in a failed attempt to mass air convert it. Mass air meter was not wired. Would be helpful to get a few good pics of that.

Cam firing order is unknown. Should really be determined.

That’s my cliffs notes on where we are. OP can you confirm or add the facts of the case so far?

Exactly why i've been asking the OP for more pictures and video. Sometimes the people fighting the problem don't see the obvious or just don't know what to look for.

As you mentioned i'd love to see close-ups of the wires with butt connectors... show us what wires are spliced and the color of the wire on both sides of the splices. Who knows if these connections are good solid connections.

When I see hacked wiring I typically go right to the hackery because it's usually the root of the problem: bad crimp, no continuity through the crimp, the wire pulls out of the connector, corroded connection ect, ect the list goes on.

This things had a camshaft installed so who knows what else is going on, how many vacuum leaks he's going to stumble upon: The engine sounds noisey to me, sounds like valvetrain noise. Does it have stock heads on it? Almost sounds like improperly adjusted rocker arms.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Correct
The truck has actual dual exhaust. I do see a second 02 sensor on the drivers side but it's not plugged into anything .
The maf Injector harness I have definitely isn't factory.
The catalytic converter must have blown out and made it out the tail pipes.
I'll get a video of the other harness later.
The A9M is NOT in the truck. Stock ecu.
Cam events and Injectors
I will confirm cam events before going any further.
I thought that's what you meant by converter but couldn't make out the rest of your message.

Thank you for clearing up the rest of our questions as well.

You can easily spin the engine over to 10° BTDC and verify the rotor is pointed at the #1 spark plug post on the cap before doing anything else. That's easily done in a few minutes & will get that out of the way quickly.

Once you confirm that, you can either pull the valve covers to watch the rockers or just pull the #5 plug out and rotate the engine over while holding your finger over the #5 spark plug hole. If you feel compression behind your finger then you know it's the correct camshaft. If you have to spin the engine over an excessive amount before your finger blows off then you have an H.O. camshaft.
To double check, put #1 back at TDC, pull the #3 spark plug out and repeat the process. If you feel the compression behind #3 right after a few turns of the crankshaft then you just confirmed it's the wrong camshaft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Pin out of the current setup. Pin 1 is yellow for reference using mustang5l5 f150 pinout.
9 brown spliced to brown/blue tracer
12 yellow spliced to black? Maybe dark purple.
13 grey cut
14 blue cut
15 green cut
42 orange cut
43 blue cut
50 blue cut
51 blue cut
57 Red spliced to red
58 brown spliced to brown
59 white spliced to white.
I wrote something down for 52 but I can't read it lol.
Video of the maf harness uploading. I'll pick up new plug tomorrow and confirm cam events.
Electrical wiring Gas Rope (rhythmic gymnastics) Rope Cable

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Rim Cable Terrestrial plant

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Electrical wiring Automotive tire Gas Wire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
On the harness or the 60 pin?
Also someone asked if the heads where stock. I was told they where aftermarket but I can't see any markings. I'd be to pull the intake or belt drive accessories

·
Registered
850 Posts
Pin out of the current setup. Pin 1 is yellow for reference using mustang5l5 f150 pinout.
13 grey cut
14 blue cut
15 green cut
42 orange cut
43 blue cut
50 blue cut
51 blue cut
57 Red spliced to red
Video of the maf harness uploading. I'll pick up new plug tomorrow and confirm cam events.
View attachment 1079577
View attachment 1079575
View attachment 1079576
View attachment 1079578
Those wires are from the conversion harness

Example, It says INJ -3 EEC - 12

That means it's for injector #3 and it goes to pin #12 on the 60 pin connector.

Looks like you have the correct conversion harness for the mass air computer.

looks like he started to wire it and then gave up. where does that yellow wire labeled INJ3 go to on the connector?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I forget, but did you ever try running the engine on the 1-5-4 firing order? How did it run?

·
Registered
850 Posts
ok i see what he did, he started to wire in the conversion harness but then went back to the SD setup.

you're going to have to go over that harness methodically pin 1 through 60 & make sure everything is in the correct position.

good news is it looks like you have the correct maf conversion harness.

·
Registered
850 Posts
13 grey cut
14 blue cut
15 green cut
42 orange cut
43 blue cut
50 blue cut
51 blue cut
57 Red spliced to red
View attachment 1079577
View attachment 1079575
View attachment 1079576
View attachment 1079578
here's what you've got going on..

1 is keep alive memory
9 MAF RTN
12 INJ 3
13 INJ 4
14 INJ 5
15 INJ 6
42 INJ 7