Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had too much down time lately and am not able to work on the car either, so I'm thinking about it constantly. :)

I am wanting to know if it is worthwhile for my combo and goals. I have seen a few stock cam cars posted on here that run very well for what they have in them.

Goals for the car:
12 second 1/4 mile
Mostly full weight
Street friendly
Relatively easy to tune

My current setup includes the following:
-95 GT AODE (4r70w planned)
-Stock TC (no larger than 2800 planned)
-3.27 Gear (3.73 planned)
-GT40P Heads, w/valve job
-AlexParts .560 Springs, 127#closed /303#open
-Explorer upper/lower
-65mm TB
-BBK 1 5/8 Shorties
-VRS 2.5" Catted SS Xpipe
-19# Explorer Injectors
-255lph fuel pump
- Cloyes 9 key timing set
-UD pullies

Cams I'm considering all would be degreed in.

1. Stock 95 HO, advanced 4, 1.7 roller rockers

Cheapest option, I have everything to do this. Best idle and ease of tuning.

2. Comp XE264HR-14, 212/218 114LSA

Seems to fit the powerband and should not be hard to tune as small as it is. Comp says my springs will work. Would run 1.6 factory rockers.

3. FTI GT40-KR1-A, 214/218 108 LSA

I'd like to hear from anyone that has ran this cam. Looks very aggressive for the short durations and am concerned with idle and tuning on the 95 EEC. Most expensive option.

4. AFM B-31, 218/228 112lsa 108icl

Cam is available for cheap at the moment from a friend. Reported as an easily tunable cam for the 94-95 cars. AFM says with 1.6 rockers and my springs I'll be good till 6k rpm as far as valve valvetrain control. I'd like to install it 2 degree advanced further if it will clear to bring the power in a little lower.

All in all the question is do I need an aftermarket cam or can I meet my goals with the stocker setup listed above?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I don’t think you will reach the 12’s with any of those camshafts.

The camshaft isn’t going to get ya there with the rest of your combo.

You need boost or spray, and then the cam doesn’t really matter as much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think you will reach the 12’s with any of those camshafts.

The camshaft isn’t going to get ya there with the rest of your combo.

You need boost or spray, and then the cam doesn’t really matter as much.
I don't completely agree. I believe it can be done with the proper combo. Not saying it will be easy.

This thread alone has a few 12 second stock cam cars. 13 second cars with some high 60 foots posted aswell.

What am I missing with this combo?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You misunderstood what I said.

Your combo, regardless of which cam, won’t get you there. It’s basically just a gt40 engine like the Cobra. It’s not enough power in front of the aode.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You say you want "12's". What are you saying exactly- 12.99 or 12.00? That's a broad range. Don't be offended but I don't see you going 12's with your setup. Here's why I say that.

AODE/ 4R70W- not enough gearing. You will have to run a lot of rear gear in the car to get it to accelerate (4.30's min. IMO). If it was a T5 car that would be a different story as they are geared much better for drag racing and are lighter. Though I would still run a lot of gear with a T5. Both AODE/ 4R70W trans and converters are heavy and take a lot of HP to turn. Especially with a big/ heavy torque converter that is filled with fluid. That's where the big gears help to get the motor revving quicker to get that converter spinning faster/ sooner. The gears will get the motor into the powerband sooner and will accelerate the car better/ sooner.

Your motor combo sounds decent but it's not going to make enough power to run 12's with the setup you have in mind. A new cam won't help that much either. Spend that money in other places. My car went high 12.80's N/A with a near stock 120,000 mile motor I bought off CL for about $250.00. I was running the old factory DA1 speed density setup that was leftover from my 88 Mustang. HOWEVER, My car is built to maximize every bit of power that I'm making. It's not something you would want to DD but it gets the job done. Best pass for mine so far is 12.68/ 1.595 60' (pulls front wheels) with VERY mild E7's/ COBRA 1.7's/ Mezziere water pump and STOCK cam. My 85 weighs 3,000lbs. with driver.

Best pass so far?
What does your car weigh with driver ready to race?
What is the suspension setup?
What size/ type of rear tires you running?
Still have a/c and ps?

Shouldn't need a tune with the current setup. Spend your time and money on other things that will REALLY help.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lastly, Why the black dots in this thread????????????????????

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No offense taken just trying to figure out how to get there with what I have or what to adjust to get there.

Car was bought after the track closed. So no times yet.

Car was 100% stock, suspension included.
That being said I'm looking at the following suspension:

Koni AGX Adjustable struts
MM Caster plates
Fox 4cyl springs

Baseline street relocated rear setup
Koni AGX adjustable shocks
MM subframe connector
Wild Rides Battle Boxes

235/60r15 Drag Radial

PS and AC but will be on a short belt for track days.

·
Registered
351 Posts
OP needs to do a base run as is when his track opens. Then he may understand what everyone is telling him. An aode in stock trim will be lucky to run a 15.50 and break 90 mph. These cars are a fat, heavy and slow pig.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ok what i would do is to buy a set of strange 10- way shocks and struts. I run my struts full loose and play with rear shock settings depending on how the car is hooking. Would you consider front coil-overs instead of stock style springs?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Also, I would put an airbag in the rear passenger spring and set it at about 10psi for a baseline. The Baseline suspension stuff i dont know anything about so I can’t really help you there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Unless you drop some decent weight and have more gearing than you’re considering, the odds of running 12s in an aode sn95 are pretty slim With the parts listed.

Or you can spend $600 on a nitrous kit and instantly run 12s

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think you're closer than all these nay-sayer's think. Yes,stock these are heavy pigs for a car. My 95 all stock with 4.10 gears would only run 15.70s. But 4.10 was too steep for the stock motor, it was out of power by the 1000ft mark. Prior to that I ran a very similar combo to what you describe in our 1st 95 coupe before my son wrecked it. I had 30# injectors,75mm throttlebody and my heads were shaved .030 and some home port work. Cam was a Comp XE270HR-14. My AODE was rebuilt with perf clutches and a Fairbanks shift kit with a 3k converter. Ran a mail order tune chip. The tuner said 12's should be easily possible with better gears. It ran [email protected] 100mph with 3.27 gears but the car would not 60ft( 2.2 -2.3 sec) and tire spin was not the problem. Then I took it to a dyno day and found that every time we went full throttle something was slipping in the trans/converter. Only made 246rwhp peak but that was before WOT.
With the chip, the 270 cam would idle ok and was a tire burning blast on the street even with the 3.27 gears.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you're closer than all these nay-sayer's think. Yes,stock these are heavy pigs for a car. My 95 all stock with 4.10 gears would only run 15.70s. But 4.10 was too steep for the stock motor, it was out of power by the 1000ft mark. Prior to that I ran a very similar combo to what you describe in our 1st 95 coupe before my son wrecked it. I had 30# injectors,75mm throttlebody and my heads were shaved .030 and some home port work. Cam was a Comp XE270HR-14. My AODE was rebuilt with perf clutches and a Fairbanks shift kit with a 3k converter. Ran a mail order tune chip. The tuner said 12's should be easily possible with better gears. It ran [email protected] 100mph with 3.27 gears but the car would not 60ft( 2.2 -2.3 sec) and tire spin was not the problem. Then I took it to a dyno day and found that every time we went full throttle something was slipping in the trans/converter. Only made 246rwhp peak but that was before WOT.
With the chip, the 270 cam would idle ok and was a tire burning blast on the street even with the 3.27 gears.
Even a low 13 and I'll be happy with what would be in the car. I can tweak and make small changes to get into the 12s.

I also prefer 1/8mile and the goal there would be 7s and not be geared higher than the 4.10.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
put forced induction on it and be done
Hind sight an On3 on stock motor would have worked. Down the road I am intrested in a turbo. I still wanna see where the simple NA setup can take the car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
With what you a proposing, 13.50's are possible with a good tire. (slick?) Worked over heads and cam maybe 13.3's?.

Best run for my car is 14.249 @ 99.59. Like racer1966, mine will not 60' (20's,30's) best of 2.139 with new 555r's and good air with well prepped track. But I'm running stock converter. 13.9 is a tall hill for me to climb.

Good luck with your combo, hope you can hit your goal. And please share your results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ive got a buddy with a ‘94gt. Here’s my experience. His goal was similar to yours. Make it into the 12’s. (His car is a T5 tho)

Best time all stock with 3:73 gears, aluminum driveshaft and underdrive pulleys on street tires... 14.7. (Again with t5 trans)

Then motor went to the machine shop to be freshened up. .030over stock style cast flat top pistons and zero decked. Used 170cc Holley systemax 2 heads shaved to 60.3cc bringing compression up to 9.68:1. B Cam with 1.7 rockers and a trickflow street heat intake. Best time 12.8 with drag radials, 12.9 on street tires.

Added 100 shot and ran 12.1 on drag radials, 12.2 on street tires.

These cars arent fox body’s. Takes more to get the times down. Be realistic with your goals and plan accordingly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts