Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where all can I get a new late model 302 crankshaft..I have checked several places and all they have are the 28oz style cranks new...The only place I have found that has the 50oz is Summit for $249. Anyone know anyplace else??? :confused:

·
Registered
862 Posts
why not buy a 28oz? its a better crank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clement, If I went with a 28oz crank. I would have to get a new flywheel and harmonic balancer. Which right now I have both new for a 50oz crank...The harmonic balancer is no big deal I can get another one, it is just the flywheel I am not for sure about...

Scottmrit, thanks anyway, but I don't like running a crank that is turned more than .010/.010

·
Registered
862 Posts
i hear that. i had to start from scratch so the rotating assembly i ordered is 28oz. the stock 5.0 crank will outlast the stock block anyway i guess. i woulnt think it would be hard to find a good used crank. hell, ive got 2 stock shortblocks, and a boss 302 block and crank just laying around. i thought everybody did.
:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clement where did you get your 28 oz crankshaft from?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
If all you want is a stock style crank, Autozone has them for $135.49 , with trade in. (you could probably trade in any old thing, they don't know the difference)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
StangLX302, the problem with just going to Autozone is, you might get a crank that is turned .020/.020 or more....

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
306Ranger said:
StangLX302, the problem with just going to Autozone is, you might get a crank that is turned .020/.020 or more....
Hmm...didn't know that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
StangLX302, I used to work for Advance Auto and that is how it was there also.. You could get a crank that was turned no more than .010/.010 but you paid a premium price for it, which I think was like $50-60 more than if you just got a regular crank kit...

I priced the premium crank at Advance and it was $190 with bearings...I guess I might just end up going that route...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Are you looking for a new crank or a used, turned crank?

They're two different products, if you want a turned crank I would stay away from Autozone, et al, and use a quality machinist.

Personal preference, I've seen too many issues with mass production shops.

$.02

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I think that there is no differnce between older and newer crankshafts except for the lip for a two piece rear main seal. So if you want a "28 oz." crankshaft , don't you get a 28 oz. harmonic balancer, a flywheel for 28 oz. balance and then have your rotating assembly balanced for 28 oz. imbalance???

·
Registered
862 Posts
the old 28oz cranks are heavier and stonger then the 50oz.

you could take a late model crank, balance it to 28, and it still wouldnt be as strong as the early model crank.

on the other hand, you could balance a old crank to 50oz, and it would still be stronger then the late model. 2 different cranks, its not the balance that counts (well, it doesnt hurt that the balance is closer to 0 too), they are different cranks. its like comparing a 4340 forged to a 5000 series forging, they are different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts