Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost my source for a manual transmission switch so what I might do is try to use a 5.0 T5 on the 4 cylinder (It's got a broken 3rd gear but the price is great for the tranny) however I'm not sure it'll fit. Anyone know for sure if it can be done? It seems the same size and all. Not sure. Ideas?

Anyway, even if I buy it, I'll still need pedals, clutch cable, driveshaft, clutch and bellhousing. Ahhhhhhh the fun of hot rodding LOL.

JK13

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm doing a engine swap using a 5.0 trans with a Turbo 2.3. A friend did this swap too but for a NA 2.3 race car. There are just 2 problems that I know of, the size of the imput shaft and the length. The size is easy. Take the imput shaft out of the trans and have it turned down in a lathe by a machine shop. I have a lathe of my own so I did it myself. As for the length, the 5.0 is shorter, some have has no problem with it but I plan on making up a custom pilot bearing out of bronze to support the shaft.
As for the bell housing I am going to try something different. I have modfied a stock Tbird bell housing and with a 5.0 clutch fork. I have not tested if this will work but it looks like it will.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ok here is the deal - the 5.0 tranny will bolt up using all the 2.3L stuff (bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft, etc.,etc.) the ONLY thing you need to do different is to buy a BRONZE ADAPTER PILOT BUSHING from Rapido Performance (Merkur Guys)...D&D might make them too.

I've run a Cobra T5 in my 2.3L cars for several years now with 0 problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found another stick shift 4 banger Stang at a scrapyard for 400$ so I'm back in the business of doing this for WAY cheap :D

Plus the guy thinks the car has a newish clutch so one less expense. (For the time being) Hopefully a stock clutch can handle 200 to 230hp If not I'll upgrade after I destroy the original clutch ;)

JK13

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just be mindful that a tranny out of an older 2.3 n/a is gonna be non-world class. I wouldn't recommend putting one behind the turbo.

Just use the 5.0 tranny and get the input shaft turned down. Its a piece of cake and bolts right up to the 2.3 bellhousing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts