Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Conrad,

Why can't it be a ford? It is an LS1 in this case.

A 347 with 11-11.5:1 CR, a Vic 5.0, heads that flow [email protected]"
on intake side, a good 1 3/4" LT into 3" exhaust is going to make a TQ curve of a similar shape.

Just something to wet the lips over here on the 331-347 owners.

These guys rwtq is in the 400-420rwtq range with alarming regularity. And power is from 415-440rwhp with alarming regularity.

TQ as low as the dyno will go is usually over 300.

See how this one holds the 400rwtq over a good range, thats all you have to do on the 347's to make similar power.

Problem is the long runner intakes are not going to hold the TQ over this range, they are starting to let go of it at the beginning of this range.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I saw that on the Corvetteforum...

I started to post a link to it. That's impressive! What I don't quite understand is even a 347 with good parts still needs more cam to make similar numbers as an LS1/LS6, or am I mistaken? Why is this?

Randy

·
Registered
137 Posts
That makes me wonder what a different upper intake would do for me:

Maybe some sort of custom box-style upper for the TFS intake I have on my 351...shift my tq curve to the right a bit...

-Jim

·
Registered
590 Posts
dammit jim i wish my torque curve looked like that!! lol!! I see you have got some 11.3s out of it!! damn impressive!!

I'd be curious to see with your cam and heads if a Victor 5.8 would make a lot more power

·
Registered
590 Posts
its too bad none of these guys really want to put the gear in their cars to match the power curves.....i mean that curve peaks at 6400 rpm.....It seems like a lot of these fbodies esp the M6 guys are dyno queens only

i mean dyno charts are great but show me a 10 second timeslip and i'll be really impressed :lol:

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a decent amount of experience with Ls1's and Cartek racing in NJ. My buddy is having a 500rwhp 408 built there.

While the power these cars make is impressive, and the streetability at the power level is impressive, there are a few disadvantages....

1. It is exactly 2x as much to modify an LS1. Part for part.

2. They can not E.T. as well as a Mustang.

In short, it takes "Oprah" money to play with them..........

But yes, there power is impressive....I think a big key to their success is the fact that air enters their intakes head on. I can't think of another reason why they seem to do better. Maybe to a small degree the coil packs help at higher RPM's over our mechanical distributors too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure on the combination in this one. If you look close,
350rwhp broke by 4700, 400rwhp by 5200 and 450rwhp by 6000.

This doesn't sound too bad to me.

I'm not sure if the air cares what side of motor it comes from ( side or front ).

However, you do have advantage of the runners not being able to starve each other for air - since you have 4 on each side of plenum.

With Ford EFI you have 8 runners right next to each other that can starve each other for air.

With Victor Jr converted to EFI this problem is lessened.

I think with right setups the fords can be in this type of power range.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That doesn't look much different than my 347....

10.5:1
420 rwhp (sae)
395 ftlbs (sae)

pump gas, very streetable.

Canfields, solid roller (going to hydraulic now) with Victor 5.0.

John.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nice #'s John.

Didn't someone mention the track? I see these posts where a built LS1 makes this amount of power blah blah blah, this one makes this amount of power blah blah blah.....and the et's????

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
BigDaddy LTD LX said:
The cars are very heavy. Take one of these motors and pop them into your drag suspended 3000LB mustang and it will run under 11 sec.
Well ya won't see too many LS1's in Stangs.....I'd just settle for a "weak" dyno motor that fits right in a light Stang and wins at the track ;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bobo said:

Well ya won't see too many LS1's in Stangs.....I'd just settle for a "weak" dyno motor that fits right in a light Stang and wins at the track ;)
I gotta agree with Bobo on this one. I know a guy that "said" he made 397 RWHP with a hotcam and Longtubes/full exhaust, no cats etc. He ran 12.17 at 115. After the 9" went in it only ran 114 mph (busted the stock rear doing a burnout, LOL). My buddy Mike Camara raced him several times last year and ran the same MPH with 353 RWHP and ran .12 behind him on Nitto's to his slicks/4.10 rear. I see them talking dyno #'s like none other but track #'s are a different story. The automatics haul ass when prepped correctly but the 6 spd's don't impress me at all. MPH for MPH and tire for tire a 5 spd mustang will run 2-4 tenths quicker than a 6 spd LS1. I've seen it many times at the track.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.