Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on buying a 69 mach 1 and cant decide on whether I want the 390 or the 428CJ :rolleyes: Which one will be more mod friendly? Im not gonna make a strait out race car with this car but want it to perform like hell when I want it to:) Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
some of the 390 blocks cannot go safely to the larger 428 bore.

·
Registered
125 Posts
not even a question. The 390 ist to the big block fords as the 396 is to the chivy big block... performs ok.. but not nearly what a 428 CJ does. The 428 is plenty mod freindly and is very streetable. Just find one for a good price though lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback guys I believe Ill go with the 428CJ I just heard some good things about the 390 and was wondering how it stacked up to the 428. Again thanks for the info.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There is NO comparison to the 428CJ. There are many,many aftermarket parts availabe for the 428 and 428CJ. Alll you really need is a good carb, single plane intake and a good cam, and then hold on, It is some what like driving an 03-04 Cobra with a pulley.

Rusty

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
allthrottlenobottle said:
There is NO comparison to the 428CJ. There are many,many aftermarket parts availabe for the 428 and 428CJ. Alll you really need is a good carb, single plane intake and a good cam, and then hold on, It is some what like driving an 03-04 Cobra with a pulley.

Rusty
:leghump: Then I will definetly have to go with the 428CJ. Ive seen some pullied 03/04 cobras run and good god they haul @$$:) I cant wait to get this ride now....planning on aquiring the car this fall. there are a lot of good shows in georgia that have a good collection of 69 mach 1's for sale for good prices!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I noticed that afterwards sorry...lol. Hope that build came out badass for you. Ya know anyone looking for a balanced and blueprinted 69 CJ engine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts