Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence whether or not to build a 427 stroker or buy a crate motor.I have about $12,000 to spend. I am looking for a streetable 600HP motor with Dart SHP block, Afr 220 heads. Coast High has one for $12,000 and I don't think I could build it for that price. Fordstrokers has the liberator shortblock for $7000 and I could build off of that. Anybody else know of a good crate motor in my rice range or any ideas on what I can do?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dart sells 427s in SHP blocks in two flavors...dish or flat top. That's if you're up for building the motor yourself (and the minor complications that go with it).

I went with a custom built short block (built locally) as the pistons in the dished build had too much volume and the flat tops wound up with too much compression for the parts that I had.

I wouldn't have hesitated otherwise...not too many places you can get a 4.125 x 4.00 short block mail ordered to your door only a few days after ordering.

Not sure if Dart will customize it for you or not.

The downside is you don't know if their pistons with clear you valves with the cam of your choosing as they won't be mocking up the engine...they aren't exactly local if you need the pistons fly-cut.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As a heads up, $12k may be a tad short if you are building a 427w long block, but not by much.

Aside from that, don't forget to consider the costs of all the supporting modification you will need if you are starting from a stock 5.0 (not sure what you have already)

I'd figure at least this...
$2500 into the fuel system and tuning
$2k into the suspension
$2k into the transmission
$2k into the rear
$2k into the exhaust system
More thousands into safety
$4k in other misc costs (all the small stuff adds up fast)

What I've learned from these projects is that you should always take your estimated cost and multiply by 3 and that is usually where you wind up...just so you aren't surprised (not sure what your experience is)

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
$12,000 for a SBF...gracious:eek:. For that kind of money,I'd go ahead and get into the 600+ c.i. club...:leghump:. No power adder needed:evilgrin:
Its not the bottom of the 600+ cu in assembly thats the deal breaker. Its the crap above it.

A460 block $2500.00 or dart.. $1200. Machine work 4
630 bore.
4.5" stroke crank. Anywhere from $1200 to $3000 depending bells and whistles.

Aluminum rods 1500 to 2000 depending mfr.

Pistons. 2000. Depending on heads, mfr, bells and whistles. Stuff in 600 cu in range almost slways purpose built. So looking at low tension rings. Gas ported pistons.

The problem is the damn heads to feed the beast. Low side if you can find some one getting out the game and can find some used C heads or Thors you are talking about 12 to 15k. If talking new.... assembled ported valves etc. 15 to 20k for c heads. 25k for some tw stuff flowing in the 535cfm per runner range. B441 hemi heads on 4.9 bore space finished new 25 to 30k. Problem with the b heads on the iron block the pushrod clearance can hit water. If looking at that level of baller. Go aluminum block.... from C and C now your talking about a 5k block before machining. Might as well go 12" deck height and 800 cu in....
And a whole other set of million dollar heads.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Okay Kim,maybe not the 600+ club..but definitely a 521-557 in a half filled early 4 bolt block,with ported SCJ heads,or something better? I've seen these run high/mid 5's 1/8th mile NA(and be street driven;)). 4's with a progessive fogger & race gas. It takes a SBF set on kill to do that..and reliability goes down IMO. On the big bore vs 4.030 bore comment,I totally agree;)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts