Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill be ordering my custom cam in a few weeks for my 408 and cant make up my mind on a upper intake, im stuck between two

the TFS R upper or the vortech mondo box upper? need opinions

will have victor jr heads...will be mostly a street car and im not going to go over 6500RPM

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you are going through a reputable cam guru, ask them.
Guys like Ed Curtis, Buddy Rawls etc have forgotten more about matching components than most of us will ever learn.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What cam are u going to use?

I am running a EFI SPyder intake on my 408.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I liked the R with a hydraulic setup, if you are going to spin some RPm, like 7000+ then go with a spyder, if your heads are good enough all the way around then go ahead and go with the spyder.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill be using a ed curtis cam..and i did ask him and he suggested the victor 5.8 intake...but as of now im looken at the vortech mondo box upper intake from AFM with a TFS R lower

looks good..performs well..and is out of the way of the valve covers

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you guys with 408's have any track times or dyno numbers..and is your car mostly just a drag car or do you drive it on the street?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I thought the igloo really didn't come alive till higher rpms, especially on a NA motor?

·
Registered
749 Posts
A box intake is going to turn on at higher RPms but with 408 cubes you probably won't miss the torque that much, it could actually help with traction on the street.

I do drive my car on the street in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hey demonGT.. check your PM's. I have a victor 5.8 (fuel injection) intake thats for sale, never been run on a motor.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The TFS R won't pull well to 6500 on a 408, I'd also suggest the Vic 5.8.

·
Registered
749 Posts
TURBOX2 said:
The TFS R won't pull well to 6500 on a 408, I'd also suggest the Vic 5.8.
Mine pulled all the way to 7000 RPM and would go further, but then again I was shoving 15 psi through it ;)

Personally I think with that many cubes and RPM that the Vic Jr. converted spyder intake would beat just about anything.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the vortech upper i talk about dose not have the iggloo in the middle..and they had a review of a few box uppers in a mag and the vortech out performed the spyder intake

and as stated above, its a box upper so it would be more for high RPM but with 408 cubes, where it makes its peak power would drop....and yes..it would help tration on the street

and not that i see someone has a victor 5.8 which was origanlly suggested to me by mr. curtis...im really pushed now..cause if i go with the victor then if it dosnt perform like i want i cant swap uppers with the vortech..the vortech uses the TFS lower...not even sure is there are any box uppers that use the ebock lower...not to mention the victor 5.8 upper only has a 75mm tb opening correct?

desicions desicions..errr:confused: :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vortech upper with TFS R lower from AFM

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
749 Posts
DemonGT said:
the vortech upper i talk about dose not have the iggloo in the middle..and they had a review of a few box uppers in a mag and the vortech out performed the spyder intake
All of those tests were on an 8.2 deck 302 with a hydrualic roller too....Heck just the difference in width on a 9.5 deck block will add an inch easily to the runner length of the lower. That changes everything. On top of that you are also feeding 61 more cubes with a 408.

I don't think you could go wrong with the R intake, it would certainly keep your options open but i'll bet a Victor or Super Victor based intake would outperform.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I went to the EFI Super Victor for mine, the large 90mm opening is important on the large cube motors. I was also told that a 90mm TB made a significant increase on a large cube stroker.

What TB, MAF and inj will you be using?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the test engine was not a 302..it was a 347 stroker....so what i was saying before is it it made peak hp at 7K on a 347..on a 408 it would most likely drop down

rick - ill most likely be using the maf and tb i have now at first but later upgrading them..im thinken of using 42lb injectors....have 70mm tb and 76mm maf....but if i went with a victor 5.8 intake the tb opening is only 75mm so a biger tb wouldnt help....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
DemonGT said:
but if i went with a victor 5.8 intake the tb opening is only 75mm so a biger tb wouldnt help....
Is there some reason you think that opening can't be changed?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how would i open it? by like...sanding it or something..like porting? iv never done anything like that...

·
Registered
205 Posts
At what point do you guys feel the 90mm t-body is needed (hp/rpm/engine size)..

Any driveability issues with it on the street..

craig

1 - 20 of 26 Posts