Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this article, http://www.reichardracing.com/intake_review.htm and was wondering what people thought about these on my 408 in sig. I think I stand to gain 30+RWHP from the spyder, Reichard or the Vortech. I already have the TFS351R and know it is holding me back.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
my car is mostly a street car and im building a 408...i also looked at these intakes but from the info i got it was like this..

i dont plan on going over 6500 RPM so i really couldnt take advantage of the box uppers like richards or vortech, so i am planing on going with the TFS R intake...and if that dosnt work like i want it to ill go with the vortech upper ....anderson ford sells them...the richard upper is like 700+ dollars just for the upper VS. the vortech thats 535 at andersons

another plus is from the pic i seen it looks like it allows you to run tall valve covers...the vortech and the richard both requrire a one inch spacer...

i still have yet to find some one running one on a 408:mad:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
brad...what are you running for a fuel system..

also..what are you running for a radiator and fan?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem I see with comparing the airflow vs RPM in the article is that is is a 347, and I am running 408, thus should reduce RPM's by 15% or so. So what you see on the 7500 line would be about 6300 on a 408. They also state in article that the heads are stage V ported. I went to anderson's site, no spec or listing of what stage V porting is.

Fuel systme is 255 in tank, billet regulator and 36's set at about 50 psi and compensated for through the maf via the tweecer. duty cycly is at 80% without 50 psi I had duty cycle at 107% on one run with old 35psi setting, which is what I dyno'd with.
Cooling system is FMS radiator, It is not AL.
stock fan.
180 thermo.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
im seriously thinken of going with the vortech intake

brad, your using the stock lines and rails? im looken at a whole new fuel system with duel pumps...so a 255 intake with like 38's would be enough for a farly mild 408?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mustang Brad said:
The problem I see with comparing the airflow vs RPM in the article is that is is a 347, and I am running 408, thus should reduce RPM's by 15% or so. So what you see on the 7500 line would be about 6300 on a 408. They also state in article that the heads are stage V ported. I went to anderson's site, no spec or listing of what stage V porting is.
If this link works, click on flow numbers.. Marc runs stg v T.W. heads from Anderson.. Also ex. was flowed without a pipe.. I was told this would add 40 cfm..
edit: recent updates then flow numbers

http://www.the-arnolds.net/Cobra/index.htm

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Link
My TFS, TEA stage II ( http://www.totalengineairflow.com/products/fordhead/ds_tfstw185.htm ) are 305I 226E
the AFM stage V are 314I 200E
This tells me mine are pretty close, and that there is not that big of change.
I think with the Vortech or Reichard intake I will be doing much better off.
I am going to try my roomies 42's on my car at the time of the intake swap just top see what duty cycle I get up to.
Anybody else have ideas about these intakes or combos.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
so correct me if im wrong brad but you are running the stock lines and rails??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is correct, well with the exception of spliting the factory rails to clear the wider lower, but yes, stock lines and rails.
Why?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
i was asking cause im building a 408 and if i dont need to spend all that cash on a fuel system i wont..least not right away

brad..any times on your current combo?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am pulling over 400/400 at the wheels now with the tweecer and pro-m additions since the dyno numbers listed in sig.
I plan to get my car back on the dyno next week but have yet to work out the details.
I want to see what the numbers are before I do my intake swap.
I see another 35-40 RWHP with intake swap.
duty cycle will go up with 10% more power and I think I will def need the 42# injectors.
I am going to borrow roomies 42's for that dyno run, which will not be for about month or three.

What is the 408 combo you are building?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
future plans

I am pulling over 400/400 at the wheels now with the tweecer and pro-m additions since the dyno numbers listed in sig.
I plan to get my car back on the dyno next week but have yet to work out the details.
I want to see what the numbers are before I do my intake swap.
I see another 35-40 RWHP with intake swap.
duty cycle will go up with 10% more power and I think I will def need the 42# injectors.
I am going to borrow roomies 42's for that dyno run, which will not be for about month or three.

What is the 408 combo you are building?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
75mm Tbody and stock TFS-R upper.
I know they make a 90mm upper, but have heard it will not benefit like a box style upper.
I know a guy who went from the 90mm upper to a Hogans and gained 30RWHP. I think that was on a 383 cid stroker.
I plan for equal or better hp#'s with the 408.

·
Registered
682 Posts
For these 408's the Spyder seems to be the ticket. It seems to be the only intake that allows these 408's to make at or near 500rwhp with any consistancy.

I say you buy the Spyder, have it ported for your app and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Brad - im using victor jr heads and a custom cam,42 injector,76mm maf,and a 70mm tb..but will be upgrading the tb

i need to know what intake im going to run so when i order my cam ...right now im stuck between spyder,stock TFS R or the TFS/vortech mondo combo from AFM

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
also..i noticed with the box uppers and spyder there not using the EGR spacer..what has to be done to be able to do that??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BigDaddy.
The Reichard and Vortech have both outperformed the Spyder and give you more TQ down low
Demon
Not sure on the EGR spacer. I have one now with the 75mm Accufab unit I have, but will not buy one when it comes to the 90mm.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
im really starting to lean towords the vortech combo...performs well..looks good...out of the way of the valve covers....price isnt to bad

i see both accufab and TFS sell a throttle linkage plate to replace the EGR spacer so you can still mount your throttle...i was just thinken of useing one of those(odviously) and mabe just...hooking the two tubes going to the spacer together....what goes through those tubes anyway? are they vacum?coolent?

i should post a new topic on this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts