Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 1971 351 w for my 87 notch,my plans are to stroke it,this will be my first engine build from the ground up,seeing i bought my car basicly built just had to finish and add a few things,back to my post,i want to build this windsor up i would like to hit the 500 hp mark if possible,i have about $1500 to play with right now so its either buy heads now or buy a stroker kit now and hold off till funds allow for the heads,i no my motor wont be anything without the heads but for now im leaning towards a stroker kit now and just use the 71 windsor heads wich i hear arent to bad but i have been told they will only be good up to a 400 ci engine,im just looking for advice on where to start at and also some advice on the ci that will be best for me,i will use the car for a street machine more than anything but it will see the track a few times during the summer time,basicly i want bragin rights,i have a few guys with camaros who run 11s on my back i want to surprise them this summer with a stroked out windsor,thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
If this is your first engine build from ground up id suggest just freshening it up to learn the ropes you dont just suddenly build a stroker motor for 500hp your first time, lots to learn. I would tear it down check everything and replace as needed and have your heads ported polished and reworked for a decent cam and cam it and get a good intake and carb by then youll have well into your 1500 budget and probably more than enough power to play with. Have you ever driven a 500hp car? A 400hp foxbody isnt for the ill experienced or weak of heart and will run the 11s you want.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Go with the 408

What heads do you have now?

Tim

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Skip the cast crank get a good one with h beams and neutral balance way better stuff and will grow with you in the future

Tim

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I agree with that, but for a street car with stock cast iron heads that may see the track a few times a year and on a 1,500 budget, a cast crank will get the job done.

A internal balance forged crank is going to eat up $650-$700 of his budget alone.
H beams your looking at $4-500

Your looking at $1,200 already without even buying pistons. He's still going to need rings, bearings, main and head studs. Not to mention, machine work, FW, balancer, cam, lifters. $1,500 turns into a tight budget quick LOL

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Save your money a little more, for about $1,800-2000 you can get a RPM forged crank, Scat H beam rods with upgraded arp 2000 bolts, and set of good forged pistons.... That's a combo you can grow with.. Get pistons for a inline valve setup, them step up to a set of AFR 220s or 240hps and run 9s later on.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
1500 isnt much to start with, but if it were me i would just freshen the stock bottom end up. Then i would search the classifieds on the corral for a nice set of used heads, and maybe a cam. Then get the car up and running and see how you like it, changing out the supporting mods is easy at this point. Heck now you can even find another 351 block to build your 408 while the car is still on the road, and you wont be rushed into the build. Just my .02 cents

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
You want to go faster than 11's.....I say stay with your 351 for now, just make sure everything is in good working order. Go on Craigslist and start looking for a decent sized turbo. If you go turbo, it'll be easy to push 500hp. Look on forums too. You might find some awesome deals for a turbo kit. I got a set of Windsor Sr heads (fresh out of the machine shop) with a .600 lift custom turbo cam from comp cam and matching springs for $600. Sure they're iron heads, but they can flow more than AFR's when ported and polished. It's all just looking for the right parts at the right time and price. If you buy most of the stuff new, you'll burn the $1500 real fast. My buddy built his twin turbo 302 with $2000 and is running low 10's on drag radials.

-Mike Rod

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
You can buy a 408 kit for about $1200...rpm forged crank, scat I beams and pistons. With a turbo that combo is proven to hold 800-1000rwhp

Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk 2 bitches!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
408 is the best choice for the money. A forged crank (neutral balance) and I beams with ARP2000 upgrade along with the 2618 piston of your choice will give you plenty of room to grow. Regarding the rods, I'm not a big fan of H beams if you're running a stock block - it's simply not necessary and will just increase the reciprocating mass of the rotating assembly needlessly.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If you're concerned about your first build being a stroker, just don't tell the motor.

Motors are pretty stupid and they have no idea how big they are.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not a stranger to engines at all,i just havnt built one myself ground up,i have alot of friends who buiild motors all day and they last to,so i plan on having a buddy help me out on the build,ill be doing all the work and wrenching but will have a supervisor basicly making sure i dont screw up,i was running some #s today and im going to need alot more money to do what i want,just the headers for my swap and the oil pan are close to 500,that dont leave much meat on the bone for the build,so im leaning towards just freshening it up now,cam,pistons,etc nothing crazy but i do want something to play with,i will need new pistons because i have a crack in 2 of the stockers,which i was told was very common in the 351s, im sure you all no how build plans change more than the weather mainly due to your budget and such,i really want to do a 408 but im wanting to have the car all done this summer and considering the cost of all the little stuff i dont think the stroker plan will allow that,so what is a good combo to start with untill i get the funds availible for everything neede for the stroker idea,i just no as soon as i get the motor in the car it wont be too long before it will fell slow and ill want more! my car now has a 306 with ported e7S roller rockers full msd,8.8 with new packs and 4.10s,hardend push rods,1 5/8" summit long tubes,torqer 2 with a holly 750 dp on top of it,and its not slow by any means but just not enough for me,so thats were the 351 swap came into play as they say theres no replacement for displacement! i also considered doing a turbo setup but im not running efi so the cost of everything to get me efi kinda turned me away from that plan,i no you can turbo a carbed motor but im not into that whole deal ( thanks everyone for the comments i get alot of good info on here all the time)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
another thing my blocks a 1971 and i have all kinds of differnt opinions on camshafts,what type and size of cam is best for my build? like i said it will have more street time than strip time,but i want a fast car to put it in easy words,i no any one can throw a motor together but to get the best out of an engine everything needs to work together, i wanna know what cam,pistons rods,etc.. will get me atleast in the 11s if thats possible on my budget,i have the stock 71 windsor heads with the 351 for now i was gonna do some porting on them mainly get that lump out of the exhaust side,sorry im kinda going in a bunch of differnt directions here,theres so many choices for a motor build

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
another thing my blocks a 1971 and i have all kinds of differnt opinions on camshafts,what type and size of cam is best for my build? like i said it will have more street time than strip time,but i want a fast car to put it in easy words,i no any one can throw a motor together but to get the best out of an engine everything needs to work together, i wanna know what cam,pistons rods,etc.. will get me atleast in the 11s if thats possible on my budget,i have the stock 71 windsor heads with the 351 for now i was gonna do some porting on them mainly get that lump out of the exhaust side,sorry im kinda going in a bunch of differnt directions here,theres so many choices for a motor build
also another thing whats your advice on the procomp aluminum heads? they are cheap enough for me to buy and still be able to build my motor a little bit,lol again i no i go from one thing to the next but i just have so many questions

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Honestly in my opinion, I would just keep the 302 in there for now and keep saving your money.

Work on getting a good solid suspension that can handle more power, then build a motor.

Put your 351 on a stand, tear it down to just the bare block for now and cover it up.

Once you get more money saved go ahead and buy the crank, rods, pistons, main studs, head studs, rings, bearings ( after having it line honed).....

Save some more money them get you a set of AFR 220 heads, link bar lifters, get a custom tight lash solid roller cam..

You can also get other nickel and dime parts that will eat up your budget quick like the oil pan, oil pump, oil pump shaft, timing chain, freeze plugs, intake, carb, distributor, headers, exhaust.....

Like i said, keep the 302 for now, save your money and build a stout 408 as money allows. That's my .02 for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your budget is way too tight for a 351w stroker.

I have a 396 short block that I wheeled and dealed and Still cost me about 1500.

95 roller block and rods 70
Scat crank 250
Probe 302 forged pistons 475
Motorsport pan kit 120
Arp main studs and rod bolts 160 ish
Clevite bearings close to 100 bucks
Rings 100ish

Plus machine work, my point is that I'm not even halfway done building the complete motor (heads and intake are going to be expensive!) and probably spent more than 1500 already. Big motors cost big money.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Honestly in my opinion, I would just keep the 302 in there for now and keep saving your money.

Work on getting a good solid suspension that can handle more power, then build a motor.

Put your 351 on a stand, tear it down to just the bare block for now and cover it up.

Once you get more money saved go ahead and buy the crank, rods, pistons, main studs, head studs, rings, bearings ( after having it line honed).....

Save some more money them get you a set of AFR 220 heads, link bar lifters, get a custom tight lash solid roller cam..

You can also get other nickel and dime parts that will eat up your budget quick like the oil pan, oil pump, oil pump shaft, timing chain, freeze plugs, intake, carb, distributor, headers, exhaust.....

Like i said, keep the 302 for now, save your money and build a stout 408 as money allows. That's my .02 for whatever it's worth.
X1000. Very good advice! Couldn't agree more. Maybe because that's what I'm doing now myself;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Id say build a 357w! Though there is "no replacement for displacement". You dont need it to make good power. DSS has kits for sale now for like $600! Forged pistons, rings, etc... Leaving you money for some heads if you find a good enough deal, and try to get a custom cam! Dont need bog hp number to get you down the track, just a well put together set up

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
For $1500, I would buy all the springs, shocks, struts, control arms, fuel, etc. that you can afford to get ready for a 500whp street car.

$1500 won't even buy a good set of heads, let alone trying to slut together a stroker on that money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts