Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rebuilt my old combo I kinda got cheap when it came to heads, so now my question is...Could I hit 400 FWHP with a good set of Alum heads with my combo ?

306ci
Forged Eagle Rods
Forged Eagle Crank
Probe Forged pistions (.30 over)
'69 Windsor Heads (no porting, just freshened up)
Lunati 51014 cam
Crane 1.6 RR
Preformer RPM intake
Built Holley 750 DP
Holley Blue Pump
BBK 1 5/8 shorty headers ( full offroad exhaust)
MSD 6AL
No smog, AC , ect...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Not sure on what the cam specs are but you definately have a good foundation to do it. A good set of heads and some RPM(at least 6500-7000) should get you what you are looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cam specs are kinda small....500/510 284/294

I know I could rev the hell out of the motor and not hurt it. I'm looking at the AFR 185's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Would definately need more cam. At that stage you might as well look at solid roller as you will need to really upgrade the rest of the valve train for a hydro roller and that RPM. Then again Anderson has Renagade cams that take RPM so a call to them might be a good idea in this situation. Either way it won't be just as easy as throwing on a set of heads with a different cam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
It's not as hard as most people think to make that kind of power. You don't need a very big cam as long as you're using the right cam for the heads you choose. You don't need a solid roller cam either. My cam is around 224 duration and .555 lift on the intake side. Less of both on the exhaust. I'm currently in the neighborhood of 390fwhp with AFR 165's and a cam that was custom ground for the same setup only efi. My intake ports don't match up with the heads very well either (same intake that you're using). I was told that I would likely gain 7-10 hp by machining and port matching the intake. If you can get about 10.5:1 compression with 165's or 185's, call around for some cam recommendations or advice on the cam you're currently running, you'll be in good shape.

By the way, I'm only at 9.8:1 compression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GreyLX306 said:
It's not as hard as most people think to make that kind of power. You don't need a very big cam as long as you're using the right cam for the heads you choose. You don't need a solid roller cam either. My cam is around 224 duration and .555 lift on the intake side. Less of both on the exhaust. I'm currently in the neighborhood of 390fwhp with AFR 165's and a cam that was custom ground for the same setup only efi. My intake ports don't match up with the heads very well either (same intake that you're using). I was told that I would likely gain 7-10 hp by machining and port matching the intake. If you can get about 10.5:1 compression with 165's or 185's, call around for some cam recommendations or advice on the cam you're currently running, you'll be in good shape.

By the way, I'm only at 9.8:1 compression.

My compression is some in the range of 10.0:1. Do you drive yours as a daily driver with the .555 lift ? Any problems? I agree with you about not being that hard to pull 400 HP, it's not like it's that big off a number,lol. Like I said, I'm really looking into the AFR 185's...I've heard horror story about the Holleys, Eldelbrock's don't live up to there claim as well as the TFS Heads...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
I don't drive mine everyday anymore. I could with no problems at all. I ordered my AFR's with upgraded Isky dual coil springs. I just told them I planned on revving to 6500 to make sure I got good enough springs. I'm currently peaking around 5800 rpm or so. Before advancing my cam I was peaking at 6200. My first trip to the dyno the stupid guy running it got my pedal stuck in the floormat and bounced off the 6800 rpm rev limiter for about 5 seconds. I wanted to kill him, but it didn't hurt anything. I hit 306rwhp before getting the cam right for the carb intake, recurving the distributor, fixing my carb, and installing an open spacer. I'm estimating all together I'm about 25 hp over what I was then. Currently looking for a dyno I trust. I don't enjoy watching chevy guys getting their jollies off beating the hell out of my car, trying to give it 45 degrees of chevy timing, and not obeying my requests to stop the pull at a certain rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Grey I don't doubt you but guessing you gained 25 HP is just a guess. Not that long ago 400hp out of a 302 was only heard of when you turned 7000+rpm. Technology has come a long way, but to say it isn't that hard is an understatement. Getting roughly 1.25hp per cube is no small feat. My trick flows have better numbers than the 185's and I hope to make 375hp. That extra 25 isn't as easy to get as most people think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link blue stanger!

Hey Grey, the guys that dyno your car sound like my dad, a die hard Chevy fan!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
jds,

You are exactly right. 25 hp is not easy to get. But when you left it on the table, and you know how pick it up, then it's not the magically trick you might think. Brian told me from the beginning that the cam wouldn't work properly after switching to carb. He was right. He was right because he's been doing this for longer than I've been alive. I've felt small gains and big gains. It is a guess, but I'll bet it's within 5 hp. We all know that 10 hp is the minimum anyone can actually feel. But lets go beyond the numbers. Peak numbers don't mean diddly crap when you get left behind. It's all about the area under the curve (that's calculus.....:D ). Regardless there's many other guys on this board who have actually spent the money to go to the dyno several times to prove 340-370 RWHP out of an AFR165/302 combo. That's why I like Brian's theory on cams. Call him up and talk to him. Super nice guy. HiTech Motorsports. You do the leg work. Theory is called how to make hp and tq out of a small cubic inch V8, not an Anderson theory by any means........:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,236 Posts
hey thanx for the link. I have a carbed 302 that iam going to be looking at putting more power into. I was already thinkin gof the afr 165's. Now I'm dead set on them. It also helped to determine which intake I was going to choose as i was swaying between 2 close intakes. The weiand wins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
GreyLX306 said:
That's why I like Brian's theory on cams. Call him up and talk to him. Super nice guy. HiTech Motorsports. You do the leg work. Theory is called how to make hp and tq out of a small cubic inch V8, not an Anderson theory by any means........:eek:
I have friends that have delt with Brian so I know he is a good guy yes. They have also shared some of his theories with me. But what some people miss is building a car that reflects their personality. Some peoples personality is to pay someone to do the leg work of building and designing a proven combo for them. Some people pick others brains and educate themself to see how well they can do. I have no desires to build or compete a class specific car, thus not needing every last once of HP. I am simply building a car that I can enjoy adding the best parts my research, limited knowledge and wallet can buy, because that is my personality. To me it doesn't matter if Anderson, FTI, DSS, CHP, or joe blow thinks my parts will work well together, as long as I do and am happy with the results. I will be sure to post dyno numbers when it gets tuned, and wether or not I acheived my goal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
jdsgalops said:
I am simply building a car that I can enjoy adding the best parts my research, limited knowledge and wallet can buy, because that is my personality. To me it doesn't matter if Anderson, FTI, DSS, CHP, or joe blow thinks my parts will work well together, as long as I do and am happy with the results.
All I was getting at was that you'll really learn a lot by talking to someone who has done this type of thing longer than me or most people on the corral for that matter. A phone call is basically free. Also the cost of a custom ground cam really isn't that much more when you look at the overall cost of building whatever it is you want to build. I wasted a lot of money on cams before I finally went that direction, and man all I'm gonna say was it was the best thing I've done for this engine all the way around (besides the carb conversion:D ). Good luck with your combo though. Believe me I understand the thin wallet man. Hindsight is always 20/20. I could have saved probably $3000 if I would have just waited until I could build the engine I have now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
302EFI said:
When I rebuilt my old combo I kinda got cheap when it came to heads, so now my question is...Could I hit 400 FWHP with a good set of Alum heads with my combo ?
Well I dont think your going to hit any hp at the fw, maybe 400 at the rw.:p :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Re: 400 HP with carb setup ?... Heads???

grays93 said:
Well I dont think your going to hit any hp at the fw, maybe 400 at the rw.:p :D
OK-OK...I put a Honda drivetrain in the stang...

:blam:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
fw meant flywheel LOOOONnnnngggg before ricers thought their cars made any power. ;)

the proper abbreviation for front wheel hp is wwhp (wrong wheel). :D
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top