Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a friend with a 2002 Mustang GT 5 speed and he has 400.00 to spend. Can you guys give me some advice on what he should get. The only thing that it has right now is a exhaust system. Thank you.
Ivan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, if you guys are the DIY kind. I'd suggest a T/A and a set of gears. Don't hold back...hit the 4.10 or 4.30's. If you're not the DIY type, go for the gears and try to find someone who'll do it for that price.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday he ordered a BBK CAI and 70MM TB what kind of gains do you think he can expect from those mods. Next up we'll be getting the T/A and some BBK pulley. Will he have to do anything else to his car for the gears? like anything to do with the speedo being off? Will 4.10's be good for him on the streets and daily driveability since his GF drives it on ocassion? Thanks.
Ivan

·
Registered
68 Posts
The bbk cai he bought was a big waste cause if wont give him anything but a nice looking engine compartment, and throttle body may have a little, but not much either....both were a waste of money without doing other things 1st like the mass air meter, t/a, pullies, or gears.

And no the gears wont screw anything with normal driving, it will be better....oh and tell him he has to use premium fuel if he gets the t/a(steeda perferably)...if you cant pay for higher fuel then dont upgrade.

99 silver gt vert w/ black top
auto tranny

k&n
bassani off road x pipe w/ dallas mustang mil eliminators
magnaflow catback system, w/ 3.5" tips(wow)

xtra goodies:
legal tint in bama(which sucks ass by the way-terrible law)
valentine radar w/ laser

On order: steeda t/a, steeda pullies(replacements), steeda gtrac stage 1 & 2, saleen pedals, cdc shaker hood system

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was telling him to get the T/A and pullies too, but he didn't listen. Oh well looks like I'll have to laugh at him tomorrow. Thanks.
Ivan

·
Registered
155 Posts
See my sig--absoluetly the best bang for the buck is 4.10 rear end--it will cost you between 400and 500--it will feel like you added 50 hp--good luck ratman

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shifter - IMO - first place to start. Look at Steeda - Pro 5.0? both make good shifters. I have the Steeda and love it. Won't make you go faster but you will never win a race if you miss a shift.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I never buy anything until I have researched it fully. I looked and hunted accross the boards of all the big forums before I began to purchase.

I can tell you this. The top two things I would NOT purchase first would be the throttle body and maf. The CAI? Once you have other stuff but not right away.

Gears is an absolute first. Best performance for the buck. Next is the t/a. Just get the steeda pullies and t/a. Next exhaust. Next shifter.

Just my .02 No matter what it is a nice car and he will enjoy it. BTW, some cai's will actually decrease performance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tell him to buy a valentine radar detector

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What brand are most of you guys using for your gears? Ford Motorsport? What is the best? Thanks.
Ivan

·
Registered
806 Posts
Road Snake, it's a 3650 in the 02 GT, but it's still a piece of ****. I am purchasing gears, Subframes, LCA's, and a good tire on a drag rim next (ET Streets?)

·
Registered
152 Posts
My opinion is get the shifter first, my reasoning- when you are in a racing situation it is very easy to get rough with the shifter (translating into potential tranny damage) 180 bucks for a positive stop shifter is cheap insurance plus I really like the click sound it makes!!:) you will be getting on the car stock or modded, the shifter can save you $1.5K or more if you blow the tranny up.
Second I would go with gears, then an x or h pipe, then pullies, then a good set of sticky tires. etc, etc

Alex

·
Registered
489 Posts
I will be getting a BBK O/R X pipe with eliminators installed for right around $400-500. This should give me some more power and rattle the pavement some. I like the sound but otherwise I would go with gears. 4.10 is my next mod.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys I laughed at him today and told him about the stuff he got. He went ahead and ordered the T/A and Pullies. He also wants the gears but is waiting for some info on what brand to get. Thanks
Ivan

·
Registered
143 Posts
WHAT BRAND????? GEEEEZZ, thats easy, FMS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts