Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on the $40 rotors sold at advance auto and autozone, are they any good? I noticed the ones sold at advance auto to be raybestos rotors, they have ones for like 39.99 and then another I think it was called brute stop, and this was like $80 or $122?

To re-do my front brake setup, all I need is pads, calipers, berrings & seals right? is the seal what is pressed into the back of the rotor to hole the berrings in? Also it should be a total of 4 berrings right? 2 per side and one seal per side?

Is there a good way to grease the berrings well before I put them in? and they should just drop into the new rotor correct?

Thanks for reading...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think I bought my rotors at Advanced Autoparts and they were like $50 or something. They work fine.....my car still stops like **** - just like any other foxbody with factory brakes :)

-Rob-
:evil:

·
Registered
182 Posts
The cheaper rotors will warp faster (1-2 years avg) where the factory spec rotors will usually last longer. The new (4) bearings must be packed before installed and the seal needs to be correctly placed into the back of the rotor. You can usually get a shop to take care of those for you and save yourself some headache. A lot of people advise against turning old rotors but if you are going to buy the cheap ones you may want to consider turning the old ones if you can, they can last just as long if they are properly seasoned before regular driving. Is your caliper piston worn or are the seals bad? Otherwise you should be ok to leave those as they are.

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
some of those cheaper rotors need turned right out of the box. While I have Autozone rotors on my Stang and they work fine, the ones I put on my wife's chebby gave me pulsing brakes right out of the box. I understand that is pretty common...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts