Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a 4 speed overdrive Ford toploader he wants 100 for. I am thinking of getting it to convert my car back to manual.

Has anyone here run one of these, know anything about them? What gears would they have? How do they hold up? What will I need to put it in?
He thinks it came out of a Fairmont ESS but is not sure if it was original tranny.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've never heard of a toploader with over drive. 4th is 1:1 ratio. Maybe its an SROD tranny?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
That sounds like the SROD (single rod over drive) transmission from the late 70's. It has a strong case and fairly beefy gears but the gear ratios are all messed up. Have you ever driven an old 65 - 73 vintage Mustang/Cougar with the Ford 3 speed? Ok, take that driving experience and add an overdrive. VIOLA! There is your SROD.

·
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked at it, it is an external shifted, cast iron toploader type tranny, have heard of 3+1 toploaders, never seen one till now. ANybody have info on these, it is not an SROD.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had one of these in the first car I ever owned, a 78 Granada 302 with 3 spd manual with over drive. This is what I remember about the trans. It is indeed an iron toploader case that is modified by removing 3rd gear and replacing it with an over drive gear. There is a huge drop in rpm when shifting from 2nd gear into 3rd. Third is 1:1 which was 4th gear in a regular top loader. If I remember correctly these transmissions were called RUG. It is a toploader 4 speed without 3rd gear with an overdrive gear in place of 3rd gear. The way the shift linkage bolts on the trans, the OD gear is in the correct spot on the shifter. I would avoid this trans because of the drop in rpm when shifting from 2nd gear to 1:1. Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
GLENN

HEY IT IS SROD (SINGLE RAIL OVERDRIVE)
GET IT RIGHT BEFORE SHOUT OUT INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
i JUST THOUGHT i WOULD GIVE YOU A LITTLE GRIEF!

KEEP IT EVIL! :evil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts