Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know if I decide to do this I can do a bunch of searches and problem get most of the technical questions. But just wanted to ask one question about the difficulty of this swap and if it is worth it.

Have an 89gt that runs good, newly rebuilt trans. But the exterior is a mess and so is the interior right now. Just flipped through autotrader and there is a good looking 93 lx 4 banger for pretty cheap.

Would it be worth it to buy this 4 cylinder and do a conversion. Or, get some bodywork/paint on mine. Or, find a rolling GT chassis to transfer my motor and drivetrain to?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
"pretty cheap" meaning less than what it would cost for you to get your GT back in tip top shape? If it is a considerable amount, then i'd say yes it is worth it to swap into the 4 cyl body. But keep in mind, the swap is not hard, but it is very time consuming. This kind of swap is not a weekend project, it will take you alot longer than you think.
one thing about the 4 cyl mustangs is that no matter how hard they have been driven, that little motor ins't going to do any damage to the body, torque boxes, etc. where a used GT could have considerable damage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
800 for a 93lx, place its at is closed but from what I could see it looks like it is in pretty good condition. Only damage was a busted rear taillight which I have on my GT. And it would cost alot more than 800 to get my GT into tip top shape.

I suppose if this thing is a manual then it would make the swap alot easier? And how long would you expect to spend doing the conversion? Wouldn't think it would be that hard...

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
ok, since the 4 cly is a 93 and your GT is an 89 you will have some small issues. you will have to get some wiring harness' from a 93 GT, as the 93 has the fuel pump relay under the hood and the 89 is under the drivers seat. Also, there were some small changes to the charging system wiring harness and if you use the 89 harness in the 93, your battery won't charge, you also need to get a 93 specific headlight/alternator harness.
doesn't matter if it is a 5 spd or not, you can always swap pedal assemblies. Took me over 2 months to do the swap, but i had to search for parts and whatknot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, 2 months is way to long heh. I suppose maybe I should just start working on my body or wait to find a rolling gt chassis. Prob end up just doin my best with mine.

Well, I dunno, I suppose I would only need to find the main harness and that headlight/alt harness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
O/T
Hybrid, what are some good places to look for conversion parts. Ive tried stangparts and some others to get wiring harnesses. I have an 87 LX 4 banger and a 85 5.0 non HO. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
GreenHorsy : Ebay usually has an abundance of wiring harness'
I got mine from the donor car that i used. My local junk yard has plenty of mass air main and headlight harness', i could give you the number and you can give them a call, they will ship it out to you. They pull all the engines and leave the engine harness on so you would have to get that somewhere else.
They are pretty reasonable on prices too, everytime i've been there they are like "... what the hell do you need that for? go on out there and see if you can find what you want ..." and then they let me have it really cheap since i did all the work.

Chaser: it took me over 2 months, but i did it all by myself with out any help, and i did alot of additional things that wouldn't be necessary right away to get your car driveable again. I changed rear ends, brake lines, fuel lines, SN95 master cylinder, did a 5 lug conversion and SN95 brakes, 5 spd pedal assembly, engine, tranny, wiring, instrument cluster, and everything else. I also had to look for parts which took up a bit of time since my donor was missing a few. You on the other hand have everything you need right there. It would certainly go faster if you have some people to help you.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It will be very easy for you since your have the donor car there. Just use all the harnesses out of your '87. That's how I did mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
LilBlackCoupe, The first thing i did was go and buy a manual for the car. Did you go EFI? I don't want EFI on the 5.0. Did you just go through the harness and figure out which wires you didn't need? From what i understand and have been told by a few is all that is needed going carb, to to power the ingnition and starter and your done. Im getting ready to pull the 2.3L out and get everything squared away.
Hybred, thanks for the offer and if its now too much trouble i would like the # for your yard. Again thanks fellas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts