Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped all the front suspension on my 4ycl coupe already, spindles, rotors ,brakes/lines and struts. All I have left is the brake booster, I think the MC’s are the same 4cyl/5.0 anyway. I was wondering is it necessary to swap the brake booster? Can you use the 4cyl one already to power the new 5.0 brakes or am I wasting my time? I have access to a 5.0 brake booster but wasn’t planning on swapping it if it wasn’t necessary. I know the 5.0 brake booster is considerably larger than the 4 cyl. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I did a 4cyl conversion I'm finishing and the guy before raced the car with the original booster. I went with cobra brakes on all corners and used 95 GT master and 91 mustang booster from donor car. Fabulous brakes, could'nt be happier with the feel of the pedal. Take that FWIW.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I guess I will just swap out the booster since I have gone this far. No point in cutting corners now. I just wasnt sure how much of a difference the two boosters made.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would recommend reading the sticky at the top of the forum, just to make sure you have covered all the bases. The topic of brake conversions has been covered extensively in there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just swapped out the brakes on my car as well. It was a 4cyl originally and had the V8 MkVII rotors and calipers on the front with GT rear disk brakes off a SN95. The brakes were very mushy and I needed to upgrade the spindles so I could fit my new wheels. So I put on 95 spindles, 13in. cobra front brakes, 95 GT master cylinder, and 95 GT booster. The booster was a pain in the rear to install, but I didn't want the little pancake booster from the 4 banger and wanted to redo all of it.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Fox body wise, there is no difference other than appearnce in the booster...

The SN95 is different from V6, to GT to Cobra...due to the larger master bores and bigger brakes on each model.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
yes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good to me, just saved me some work. I always thought the 4 cyl boosters were subpar to the 5.0 boosters. I guess just because they were bigger? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts