Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of assembling a 32v 4.6. The cams are in the heads and all of the cains are installed. We have the cam positioning tool in place.
We disassembled the engine several months ago and have a small problem. I have the new style 1 piece crank drive gear in place and it is keyed tothe crank, the large gear(exhaust cam) is also keyed to the cam. The small gears (cam driving cam) have keyways in them but there are no keys on these 2 small gears only. With the tool installed, the small gears will spin freely while the cams are locked in place. They appear to need keys installed in them as they have keyways but when we removed them there were no keys??? Basically what I am asking, on the secondary chains , is the ONLY thing that keeps them in time the bolt in the end of the sprockets?
Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I ran into the same problem (smaller gears had a keyway, but I only had one key to fit, the other was lost). I considered a lot of things, for example we cut a small portion of an allen wrench to fit right in there (the dimensions were very similiar to the actual key we did have just less rounded at the corners).

However, I just ended up purchasing new gears that had the keys machined in. I believe one year of the Cobra (some of them) came with gears that had th small keys in them, but these were later replaced with the gears that had the keys machined in.

CHris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the SMALL gears DEFINATELY use keys or should have keys machined into them(like the primary drive gears), correct? If that were the case, why couldnt you just line timing marks up on them like the primary drive gears instead of aligning the cams at the rear?
The Ford service manual mentions nothing of this, in fact it states, install gears and make sure they spin freely??????
Thanks for the help!!! (I'm sticking with Buicks from now on!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris,
I also saw where you posted above about having 1 key and losing the other.... I would essentially need all 4 heys for the small gears???? Just want to make sure we are talking about the same parts
Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
You have 2 choices:

1) Go to your local hardware store and see if they have the correct size key stock and make your keys.

2) Go to your local Ford parts counter and order a set of secondary sprockets that have the key formed into the sprocket.

These are the easiest cures for your dilema.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Get the sprockets (secondary), thats what I had to do.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I attempted to get key stock today so I could get this thing together, It takes a 6mm key that is available only from NOWHERE local!
I will have the gears tommorrow. I also noticed the secondary chains I bought from Ford had 2 copper links on them (just like the primary) but there was no mention of this in the service manual, however if you line those 2 links up with the dots on the secondary gears (exactly opposite of the keyway) you really wouldnt need the alignment tool??? Maybe that is updated??

·
Registered
960 Posts
I did not use the alignment tool. I did this by hand. THat being said, I never felt real good about it. I am pulling my engine in two weeks and will be getting the tool this time when it goes back in. Piece of mind, ya know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand you Chris, but if all the gears are keyed, and you align all the timing marks with the copper links on both primary and secondary chains, it is a no brainer as far as I see it....correct?

·
Registered
622 Posts
What year parts are you using? I've got 99+ heads off of a Licoln Continental. I was thinking I'd be fine using 99 chain gears (already ordered). I've also installed the timing chains on my F150 without the special tool and no ill issues.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, the truck heads are single. The Conti heads going on my motor are dual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts