Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin and I both have a 2000 GT and 2001 GT respectively. Both our current setup are; 3:73 gears, hooker LT headers, hooker x-pipe (2001 GT), Mac Pro-chamber (2000 GT).

The next mod we want to do is advance the timming. After that, we want to start going into our engines. We don't want to get the underdrive pulleys because in the near future we will be putting a blower. We don't want to get a TB or cold air intake because we heard it's not worth it. Bassically, all the bolt ons are taken care off. Now, that leaves us to start modifying the engine. We are both now starting to look into cams. We remember the old 5.0's with cams sounded amazing and not only that, it also gave lots of performance. And thats what we are looking for in our 4.6 modular motor. PERFORMANCE. I would like to hear from some of you guys who are experienced with 4.6 cams or know anything about them. What is available for our cars and what kind of gains are we looking at??? Who makes them??? Any other usefull information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
i am doin the headswap on my car and had "TheGame" SD wheeler order me some reground Erson cams. They were 250 bucks plus you will need a spare set of cams to send off to them unless you cam leave your car down for a while. The specs are 540/540 222/222. if you want sound they will lope decently. i started my car up open HEADS with them and they sounded pretty good. Havent finished putting on my hookers yet though, so i dont know about performance. pm TheGame though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ordered the head swap off SD too these are the cam specs that i got dta custom grind

.522"/218 intake
.540"/222 exhaust
112 lobe separation angle.

Mod Max stainless steel valves
upgraded valve spring kit
dta cams custom
01 p&p pi heads
and some other things that i cant rem:eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your help guys

I just got a couple other question to ask you. First of all, did you use your original cams and got it regrind to those specs you guys have metioned??? Or you bought cams and then regrind them??? Can you buy cams that are already at those specs you have mentioned??? Wouldn't it be chaeper to buy cams already set at those specs??? I don't know much about the specs of cams, such like 540/540 222/222 really means. How do you know what gives you more power??? Also, my friend is sort of a mechanic (and drives an iroc) and when I told him about people regrinding their cams he told me that it's stupid because he says you want to have bigger cams, and if you regrind your cams, your making it smaller. Does this make any sence to you at all???

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to expand my knowledge on cams.

thanks again

·
Registered
493 Posts
viciousGT said:
Also, my friend is sort of a mechanic (and drives an iroc) and when I told him about people regrinding their cams he told me that it's stupid because he says you want to have bigger cams, and if you regrind your cams, your making it smaller.

your friend is funny.

the shape of the lobe is what matters --not the visceral size.

also...

i think the reason why people are getting reground cams is because the market for performance cams (i.e new units, ground to whatever spec, ready to install, and in a bag with yellow/orange goo, and in a box with lots of cool graphics) is basically non-existant.

i think it might be a good idea (albeit expensive) to buy a new set of cams for your car and then have someone regrind them to your specifications.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You are correct that the lobe is getting smaller when you regrind a cam. However, you should be getting new followers that the cam pushes on and then pushes the valves down, to take up the slack. Personally, I think I will just order new billet cams but have not looked into how the cam sprockets are installed on the billet cams. I think you might have to buy new ones. Not real sure though.

I am at the same point you and your friend are. I don't want to spend any money on Timing adjusters or pulleys when I know very well I am thinking of getting a blower in the future. I have spoken with a guy (2cammer97) who has the HP blower grinds in his car and he thinks he has given up some low end power with the cams, but makes up for it on the top end. ( I think that is what he told me).

I would love to do the cams and p&p the heads and add some JBA shorties while I have the engine apart, but I don't see the return in hp for the cost and work. 35hp for $1800?

I have been looking at the Vortech kit as it is complete but I don't want the cheapo fuel pump and 30lb injectors that come with the kit. I also now have a diablo chip so I don't want the chip that comes with the vortech kit.

I am starting to look into shops that can custom order a vortech kit with the 42lb injectors, steeda dual pump and no chip so I am not wasting money buying things twice. I will also get the lightning MAF. I am guessing that this combo at 10psi should see about 380hp at the rear wheels and make me happy. I could get the paxton intercooler later and bump to 12psi.

I was looking at the ATI kit but have not heard very good things about it's quality.

Good Luck and sorry for me being so long........

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate any of your comments

hopefully more people would read and answer this post during the week.

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Vicious GT

Post a thread to THE GAME which is SD Wheeler askin him to help you out. Tell him what you are going to do with your car and he will set you up with the specs on the cam that you need and in reply to the regrind cam i am buyin new DTA cams regrinded to my specs which were mentioned up above:evil:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks again

I will post a thread to THE GAME

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.