Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a base tune from a tuner, curious what timing / afr should be targeted? Currently at WOT (high load, about 5000rpm+) I am aiming at 11.9afr with 15* of timing total. Not sure what typical afr or timing is targeted, wanting to play it safe. Running 6psi setup.

· Registered
104 Posts
My tuning book from Don LaSota states "4.6 4V target AFR 11.3-11.6 with 14-15 degrees of timing and stock rotating assembly."

I run a S-Trim 4V and tuned myself with these guidelines. My 100% stock 2001 Cobra with the Vortech makes 11 lbs of boost and runs extremely well.

What software are you using to tune?

· Registered
104 Posts
My tuning book from Don LaSota states "4.6 4V target AFR 11.3-11.6 with 14-15 degrees of timing and stock rotating assembly."

I run a S-Trim 4V and tuned myself with these guidelines. My 100% stock 2001 Cobra with the Vortech makes 11 lbs of boost and runs extremely well.

What software are you using to tune?
Should have said "100% stock engine" and my goal is to play it safe also. I personally target 11.5 AFR (.78'ish lambda) and run max 14 degrees of timing.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quarterhorse + Binary Editor. Currently learning to tune myself just out of not having to rely on others and able to help out others that are in the same position that I once was. Trying to narrow down why I idle at 1600rpm but hopefully in the morning I find out that it's likely the IAC, lol

Current setup is:
  • 2.1 KB - 6PSI kit
  • Long tubes (pacesetters)
  • 60# siemens deka injectors
  • 255 walbro pump
  • no EGR
  • no cats
  • X pipe
  • lm-2 mufflers
  • NGK TR6 4177 plugs gapped to .035
  • motorcraft wires
  • stock coils
  • stock intake + stock maf
  • stock cams
  • 3.73 rear gears
  • t45 trans
I've felt the power from this kit that I don't know if I'll feel much difference going up to 8-9psi to be worth it, but I might anyways for the fun of it down the road but for now trying to iron her out and enjoy it.

· Registered
104 Posts
Quarterhorse + Binary Editor. Currently learning to tune myself just out of not having to rely on others and able to help out others that are in the same position that I once was. Trying to narrow down why I idle at 1600rpm but hopefully in the morning I find out that it's likely the IAC, lol

Current setup is:
  • 2.1 KB - 6PSI kit
  • Long tubes (pacesetters)
  • 60# siemens deka injectors
  • 255 walbro pump
  • no EGR
  • no cats
  • X pipe
  • lm-2 mufflers
  • NGK TR6 4177 plugs gapped to .035
  • motorcraft wires
  • stock coils
  • stock intake + stock maf
  • stock cams
  • 3.73 rear gears
  • t45 trans
I've felt the power from this kit that I don't know if I'll feel much difference going up to 8-9psi to be worth it, but I might anyways for the fun of it down the road but for now trying to iron her out and enjoy it.
Yeah, I hear you. I really wanted to limit mine at 8 lbs, but I bought the head unit with a GT impeller and added an Anderson powerpipe. I was shocked to see 11 lbs, but the car runs so good I cant bring myself to change to a larger pulley. I will be adding an intercooler to mine before next summer though.

I wish I was more knowledgeable and could help with the high idle. Like was mentioned in the other thread, I'd certainly look at something mechanical i.e. the IAC.

I wanted to learn to tune after I realized I could buy the software and a tuning manual for about what I paid for a good custom tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts