Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've never ran a ford computer in this car, it honestly would've cost me more to run a factory computer than the megasquirt system.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
289 Posts
Those cams should make 40-50 more than the stock cam

any chance you have the non-PI versions installed?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Those are the non pi cams which is what I have they are only .500 lift, I was going to run a complete npi engine and heads which is why I have these cams, then came across a pi long block with a spun rod bearing for $100 and ended up using the heads.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Swap back to stock valve springs, run 5w-20 oil, get a ford pi intake manifold.
Why stock valve springs? Comp recommends to upgrade them over stock, I'm running 5w30 Schaeffer oil right now, and I have a typhoon intake I'm gonna get ported to take the place of the cheapo dorman intake.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Those are the non pi cams which is what I have they are only .500 lift, I was going to run a complete npi engine and heads which is why I have these cams, then came across a pi long block with a spun rod bearing for $100 and ended up using the heads.
You’re using NPI cams? If so, that might be the culprit vs the manifold. I’m thinking you’d need a “better” cams to take advantage of the “better” heads.
Edit I reread the first post and saw that you have a set of Comps. Belay my last.
For the peanut gallery: Do “hub dynos” read differently than the drum style? Like how a Mustang dyno is said to read lower than a Dynojet?
Edit again It looks like the 2v guys that are making 250-280 whp are using .550+ lift cams (TFS Stage 1, etc). So, it might be a combo of the cam & intake.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
289 Posts
You’re using NPI cams? If so, that might be the culprit vs the manifold. I’m thinking you’d need a “better” cams to take advantage of the “better” heads.
Edit I reread the first post and saw that you have a set of Comps. Belay my last.
For the peanut gallery: Do “hub dynos” read differently than the drum style? Like how a Mustang dyno is said to read lower than a Dynojet?
back in the early 2000's I had some friends with imports and they got tuned by a guy with a dynapack hub dyno. The guy that owned the shop said it read a little higher than a dynojet, and another thing is you don't have those big old chrome 315/35-17's on your car so in theory it reads even higher...

But, like always, you'd have to dyno a stock Mustang on the same day to get a good idea of how it reads. Dyno operators can make the readings vary widely, then you've got the weather...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I did some checking and my timing is stuck at 10 degrees, so that will explain some of why my power is so low, the tuner is going to put me back on the dyno on Saturday, it was a wiring mistake on my part so hopefully that will get me 20 to 30 more horsepower but I'll find out saturday.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If your timing was only 10, you are unquestionably going to pick up power.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Here's some more NPI to PI headswap info for you. In Spring of 2001, my bone stock '98 5-spd. car made 192.5 HP / 263.5 TQ on a Dynojet. 2 months later with a PI headswap and FMS shorty headers on the same stock tune and dyno with worse air, the numbers were 246.0 / 285.9. While the numbers themselves may not be terribly useful to you, perhaps the percentages of the changes will be.

Reactions: 90lxwhite
21 - 31 of 31 Posts