Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Mustang Gt, i want to build a 2v engine to produce 400 rwhp at least 350 but idk what internals i should buy without breaking the motor. what short block should i start with, PI or non PI ? and what pistons and all that extra stuff should i get? my budget is around 5-6k right now. i’m not planning on buying everything at once i wanna take my time wit this build.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2003 Mustang Gt, i want to build a 2v engine to produce 400 rwhp at least 350 but idk what internals i should buy without breaking the motor. what short block should i start with, PI or non PI ? and what pistons and all that extra stuff should i get? my budget is around 5-6k right now. i’m not planning on buying everything at once i wanna take my time wit this build.
any advice will be helpful

· Registered
12 Posts
Its not going to be a popular opinion on a Mustang board but if you are just starting down this road with a fresh sheet and all of your money I would dump the 4.6 2V and swap in an aluminum block heads / cam LS. Now is the time before your 20+ k down the rabbit hole.

The swap parts are all readily available.
The LS is lighter and makes more power and revs higher.
The LS is easy to work on.
The LS is strong out of the box and easy to replace if you blow it up.
The LS will make more power everywhere always over the 4.6. # for # or $ for $ .

I wish I could go back in time and go this route. We already had a supercharger and full bolt ons in place when our 4.6 2V went out. It still was the wrong move to build it.

· Registered
2003 Mustang Cobra
460 Posts
Its not going to be a popular opinion on a Mustang board but if you are just starting down this road with a fresh sheet and all of your money I would dump the 4.6 2V and swap in an aluminum block heads / cam LS. Now is the time before your 20+ k down the rabbit hole.

The swap parts are all readily available.
The LS is lighter and makes more power and revs higher.
The LS is easy to work on.
The LS is strong out of the box and easy to replace if you blow it up.
The LS will make more power everywhere always over the 4.6. # for # or $ for $ .

I wish I could go back in time and go this route. We already had a supercharger and full bolt ons in place when our 4.6 2V went out. It still was the wrong move to build it.
No question that even a 5.3 (much less a 6.0/6.2) makes power for less than the 4.6

One thing I always wondered about those swaps is how easy is keeping the brakes and AC, and will your dash/gauges etc all work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts