Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got a set of 4:30 gears. I was wondering if anyone in here could tell me how to install them. I have heard that it isn't that hard. I have all tools that I will need and all the time. I just need the HOW and I am in there. I know how to turn a wrench so I think with a little understanding of this I will be able to install.
Let me know guys!!:confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
GOOD LUCK!! I just did that very same thing. 2 weeks ago I got them out no problem. Got them in no problem, all my measurements were right within spec, went for a drive and they were noisy as hell, so I tore them down again and took them to a good shop, it didn't cost too much since they only had to do the final assembly (only about $100). They are smooth as silk. In the end I think I had the backlash set too tight, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here is an article on how to remove the pumkin if you have IRS.

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/pumpkin.htm

And here is an article on doing the gears.

Well there used to be a great writeup at superstallions.net, but the website is down. If it ever comes back up, just look at their tech articles, you should be able to find it.

Some people have problems getting the carrier in and out of the aluminum housing of the IRS. The service manual says that a case spreader is needed, I never had problems. I just used a large screw driver to brace the carrier to keep it from turning and then turned the pinion with a ratchet and it popped out. and I just pounded it back in with a rubber mallet and a brass punch when it got stubborn.

I tore it down and put it together twice so if you have any questions let me know. But like I said, they seem to be VERY touchy and I ended up having a pro do the final setup to get them right.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Its not that bad, my install went well, although i didnt measure the backlash at all...

Mine is smooth other than a slight decel wine, my pinon depth was dead on..

The hardest part is the unexpected, you dont know when something is supposed to be that tight, or crap like that..

i personally was happy i did it myself, although the downtime was 8x that of what it cost to have a shop do it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
93CobraPwr said:
Its not that bad, my install went well, although i didnt measure the backlash at all...

Mine is smooth other than a slight decel wine, my pinon depth was dead on..

The hardest part is the unexpected, you dont know when something is supposed to be that tight, or crap like that..

i personally was happy i did it myself, although the downtime was 8x that of what it cost to have a shop do it...
I've heard it's quite a bit easier too if you have a straight axle as opposed to the IRS. Plus you dont have to mess with securing the differential housing on a workbench. So eastcost, if you dont have IRS, you'll prob have an easier time.

I was also happy that I did it mostly myself. I learned a lot, and the part that I had the shop do was minimal (but important). If I had to do it again, I'd probably do the same thing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I watched Two Men and a Garage yesterday on Speed and they showed putting gears in a GM rearend and it didn't look that bad at first as long as you had the right tools...but I missed the last part of it when they assembled everything because I got a phone call...

·
Registered
468 Posts
its not hard at all. 2 things that must be right are backlash and gear pattern if both of them are correct your install will go well. Buy a service manual a dial indicator and a dial caliper and also locate someone who can install/remove bearings for ya. its not hard but time consuming your first time

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Look at my website in signature below, and click on "rebuild for the aluminum housing" once you're in.

All the details you need. I did make a case spreader, though...that's the only thing, but it can be done without a spreader. Just have to be careful.

Todd

·
Registered
48 Posts
lo pony said:
Look at my website in signature below, and click on "rebuild for the aluminum housing" once you're in.

All the details you need. I did make a case spreader, though...that's the only thing, but it can be done without a spreader. Just have to be careful.

Todd
AWESOME writeup. I wish I had that when I was doing mine!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts