Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, my 2001 GT has FRPP 4.10 gears. I really got a great deal on the install.

$165 FRPP 4.10 Gears
$ 92 Installation kit with all new made in USA bearings
$150 Installation and Fluids (Mobil 1 Synthetic)

$407 Total (What a stea!)

I have a JDM chip to that I am waiting on since last Tuesday, because they are away at some event :mad: but it is going to rain anyway through Tues. so it should be here in time for the weather to break next Wed. or Thur. Hopefully, I will have the gears somewhat broken in by then. I was told to let them heat up them cool all the way down 2-3 times then take it easy on them the first 100mi. How many extra miles am I putting on the car without the chip and how much is the speedo off?

I didn't really get to test them out much because I want them to break in right and it was raining by the time the install was done. Took it for a quick ride, no noise whatsoever and no vibration as of yet. One thing, I think I could have went with 4.30s since this is not a daily driver. First gear is real short and it pulls much better through 2nd and 3rd. It feels much better down low as it builds into the powerband much quicker than before. I thought it would accelerate much harder but as I said I didn't really get to test it out. Once I can really give it hell I will let you know what I think. I can say this much you will be very disappointed with 3.73s. My buddy feared the gear and got 3.73s for his 2000 GT that he hasn't put in yet and I think he is going to be very disappointed when he rides in mine and sees 4.10s are very streetable. Like I said, I think I could have gotten 4.30s as long as I would have good traction. Subframe connectors up next.

Don't fear the gear!

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my 96 Cobra with Ford Racing 4:10's I had my speedo checked by my brother (who is a Cop) with his radar gun and it was exaclty 6 mph off. At 65 I was actually running 59.

at 65 mph I tach about 2700 RPM.

Dont' you just love the 1st gear take off power!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I drive 50 miles a day on the highway and have yet to regret the 4.10s

I love doing 'rolling starts' (10mph) in 2nd gear and winding her out to 53mph. That feels real nice.

Congrats on the gears! Enjoy!

Jeff

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well I went with the 3:73's. Got it back today and for some reason the Auto comes out of OD when you let off the gas on the highway??? It didnt do that before the gears. Also put a 21 tooth gear in. It picks up a 1/10 in a mile. Dont know how far off the mph's are yet. But I like the way it feels. Also did the subs and torque boxes at the same time. (See Sig)

Bud

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it might be a decent day here in the Pittsburgh area...I will be breaking those gears in after work.

Ares, are you just going to do the install yourself? Ralph hooked me up good at Diane's auto. Might want to stop by and talk to him.

I said I'd never take it to the track but now I am considering the flashlight races in Canfield!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yah I may just do it myself. I have installed gears before its not hard( I dislike the mess of gear oil and grease). I have to run out to Summit saterday morning so I may stop by Diane's Auto on way home.

01lasered5 you may want to take car to Keystone on opening test-n-tune night this year(May 30th). Nice repaved track to give car a good workout. Long as it doesnt rain I will be there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
installed my 4.10 today

install it today .......i was told not to step on the gas for 3 runs was also told after 1st let cool down etc.after 3rd run. is that tru..installed them in a 95 mercury cougar........with new bearings also cost be 260.......labor and all.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
PDubs said:
nomore4bangers - dayam those are good times with those mods! :eek:
Daym... I was thinking that about Ares time!!!:D . I see that he's pushing just over 3000# w/ driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts