Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard that the 2004 f-150 has the 3V 5.4 motor option. Does anyone know if the 3v heads may eventually be available for the 4.6? What do you think? Also what do you think this means for us 2V guys, and our hopes for some cost effective hi-po aftermarket 2v heads? Speak your minds folks I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wheel, not sure the work involved, but I have heard in the past that guys have taken the truck heads and mounted them on their stangs. Not sure what is involved, but I have heard of it being done. So, if my chain wasn't getting hanked, I would assume you could get a set of the heads and do it yourself.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Uh, no. Nobody outside of Ford has mounted 3V heads on a Mustang yet. Most likely, 2005GT’s will have 3V heads, but swapping over to earlier 2V engines may be much more difficult than the current headswap, mainly due to the rumored variable valve timing. Also consider that there could be a million and one other differences that would make this swap either, difficult, impossible, or just economically unfeasible.

Or it could be easy as pie.

As far as having options for cost effective hi-po aftermarket heads, I think we have them. People have already shown the PI and SVO heads to be good up to 700+ hp with some work, and a 4V swap is always an option if you need more than that. Yes, they are more expensive than the old 302 heads, but because of the complexity of the head itself and the sheer number of operations needed to make one, the aftermarket will be hard pressed to ever make a 4.6 head that is comparable to the PI heads in price AND performance.

What we REALLY need is an intake that doesn’t cost $1500-2000.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree, the heads we have are actually pretty good castings. With a little work, they flow great.
A decent intake would be awesome. I'd love to have a direct replacement aluminum one. A cast alum. identical to the stocker would suit me just fine. It flows relatively well, but after a little port work, it would flow great.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The rumor is the 05 wil have 2 GT engine options the 3v 4.6 rated at 300hp and 4v SC400HP 4.6. I am definitely sure the 3v will be in the GTs, but I hope to god you can get the cobra motor. 06 cobras are suppose to be 500hp beast. Lets hope and pray.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just saw a press release in the local newspaper for a new 6 cylinder engine that will have the variable cam timing!

·
Registered
300 Posts
GTCam said:

A decent INTAKE would be awesome. I'd love to have a direct replacement aluminum one. A cast alum. identical to the stocker would suit me just fine. It flows relatively well, but after a little port work, it would flow great.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just to input my opinion I think the 3v heads would be awesome but 99-03 ported and polished PI heads w/ a good cam combo, of course long tubes put impressive #'s down w/ a good tune. Some have seen RWHP in the 285-320 range and are running low 12's all motor. I think thats awesome for a 4.6 2 valve engine. Take the 300rwhp and a 12% drivetrain loss, your putting down 73.04hp down per liter which is not bad at all. I think we should just keep pushing the aftermarket to accomadate us better then worrying about the new 3v heads. The 5.0 aftermarket is huge, and now its time for the 96-03 4.6 crowd to get have their fun.

I would also like to add that the fact that our little 4.6's only need 300 rwhp to run low 12's, while are bow-tie and birdie rivals need close to 360+ to run low 12's. Well I'll stop rambling and let it be. I love my Mustang and I believe in the good ol' 4.6.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well all the F-body guys in my neighborhood fear my little 2v, but they are all my friends. What was funny was when my car was stock how they picked on me. Not anymore.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sagres said:
Well all the F-body guys in my neighborhood fear my little 2v, but they are all my friends. What was funny was when my car was stock how they picked on me. Not anymore.
Yea but you know what sucks. I bet you have close to 10K in your motor right now as it sits. Can you imagine what would happen if those same f-body guys spent just 7k on their motors. We would be toast. So hearing about a new 3V headed stang is cool, but I sure wish I could get some LOW COST help for my 97 2v.

2k in heads, $900 - $1200 for an aluminum intake, 3.5K for a blower, 3K forged bottom end. This is really starting to get expensive :barf:

·
Registered
998 Posts
You gotta pay to play. That combo you mentioned would be good for 500+ horsepower. That's not cheap no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a ws6 and spent 5k to get into the low 11s. Your right its cheap for a F-body(Stall, gears, cam, and jucie plus some other little bolt ons).

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just curious . . . You have an 11 second LS1 AND a blown 02GT?

I didn't consider spray when I wrote that, but yes, with 5K including the spray, 11's aren't hard on a Mustang either.

Basically just some worked heads, exhaust, juice and sticky tires.

·
Registered
433 Posts
myhorsedollar said:
Just heard that the 2004 f-150 has the 3V 5.4 motor option. Does anyone know if the 3v heads may eventually be available for the 4.6? What do you think? Also what do you think this means for us 2V guys, and our hopes for some cost effective hi-po aftermarket 2v heads? Speak your minds folks I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks

i'm thinking a 3v headswap would be, at this point, a pain in the rear for the variable cam timing issue alone. an ECU swap would almost be a necessity so cost would be getting crazy as well.

the variable cam timing has good potential for N/A or power adder applications but it'd be a painful process because of compatibility. I'm sure the timing solenoids are pricey too.

I've had the opportunity to view the 3v heads and the one difference i cold tell by eye was the HOPF opening was much smaller and of course the cam sprockets were much different.

the bolt pattern [/i] appeared [/i] to be the same.

the best thing that could happen to the 4.6 sohc is a good, cheap, and effective intake for N/A applications.

·
Registered
973 Posts
myhorsedollar said:
Yea but you know what sucks. I bet you have close to 10K in your motor right now as it sits. Can you imagine what would happen if those same f-body guys spent just 7k on their motors. We would be toast. So hearing about a new 3V headed stang is cool, but I sure wish I could get some LOW COST help for my 97 2v.

2k in heads, $900 - $1200 for an aluminum intake, 3.5K for a blower, 3K forged bottom end. This is really starting to get expensive :barf:

yeah you are right that us 4.6'ers have to spend some money to wipe them up, but you also must include the fact that our cars brand new are what at least 4-5k cheaper. equal out the money to exact same spent brand new on both and i think that the mustang will win, but i could be wrong...

03 stang, headers, blower, gears=29,000k give or take
02 SS/WS6=29,000k give or take

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Re: 3V heads

fixer said:
i'm thinking a 3v headswap would be, at this point, a pain in the rear for the variable cam timing issue alone. an ECU swap would almost be a necessity so cost would be getting crazy as well.

the variable cam timing has good potential for N/A or power adder applications but it'd be a painful process because of compatibility. I'm sure the timing solenoids are pricey too.

If we're lucky thats all it'll be driving the variable valve timing is solenoids. It'd be extremely easy to make your own controller to actuate a solenoid.
Then you could leave your stock computer in place and have the car tuned. ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought my stang new for 20k(V8 and a stick) and my WS6 for 30.5k loaded.

Life is good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts