Ford Mustang Forums banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rock, what do you think about running 205 11R heads with a TFS box R intake 90mm on a stock block 302? With a FTI custom cam. Do you think it would work just as good if not better than 190 11R with Holley systemax?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Rock, what do you think about running 205 11R heads with a TFS box R intake 90mm on a stock block 302? With a FTI custom cam. Do you think it would work just as good if not better than 190 11R with Holley systemax?
I know this was to the OP, but I think you'd give up some bottom end torque. How much? Not sure. Maybe Ed will chime in. Would be interesting to see the result.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
If I started from square one, that’s exactly what I would do 205 - TFS Box - 90mm. I actually have a 90mm and am going to begin fabbing the Holley upper to work with it, and cut out some runner length in the upper.

Just make sure you tell your cam guy where you want to shift. SBE I’d keep it under 6900 especially with stock style lifters.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
I know this was to the OP, but I think you'd give up some bottom end torque. How much? Not sure. Maybe Ed will chime in. Would be interesting to see the result.
I had more torque at a lower RPM with 190s and Holley SM2 than I ever did with AFR 165s and Cobra intake. Both had a custom cam ground for the combo. Bigger does not always mean you’re giving up SOTP thrills at lower RPM.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If I started from square one, that’s exactly what I would do 205 - TFS Box - 90mm. I actually have a 90mm and am going to begin fabbing the Holley upper to work with it, and cut out some runner length in the upper.

Just make sure you tell your cam guy where you want to shift. SBE I’d keep it under 6900 especially with stock style lifters.
I spoke with woody at ford strokers a couple year ago and he advised not to spin it much higher then 6k. Reliability and also that that it stops making any more power above that on a stock bottom end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
I spoke with woody at ford strokers a couple year ago and he advised not to spin it much higher then 6k. Reliability and also that that it stops making any more power above that on a stock bottom end.

The only limiting aspect of the SBE is the lack of strength to handle sustained RPMs at higher power. The architecture and design are great for making big power. That’s why 8.2 deck Dart blocks exist :)

But yes spinning a SBE 302 higher than 6300ish is always going to be controversial. Which is why it’s so important to have a good balancer and the lighter flywheel can only help matters with high RPM, too.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Harmonics are the kiss of death in the small block Ford (all engines really but this is about SBFs) IMO. Above 6000 rpm and you get into "iffy" territory. Harmonics lead to fractures which lead to cracks which lead to split blocks. It's the only explanation for a 300 hp engine cracking the block and 500 hp engine not. The build matters. A precision built 500 hp engine could last several seasons while a thrown together 300hp engine could fail in weeks.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
It’s not just the balancer, but yes if you’re spinning above 6k throw the stocker in the trash. They can and will fail. My last stock one spun on the rubber ring inside and was out of balance. People also have horror stories of them flying off and doing some damage.

Bunch of good companies make great balancers. Romac, ATI, etc...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Lots of options but I think that's one part that you get what you pay for. I had a Romac on my stock bottom end motor and it rusted in no time. ATI popular but I went with an Innovators West on my new 363.
Almost went with IW! They make sharp pieces.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Is the stock one a bad unit or ? Is there any proof/evidence?

I have no hard proof or evidence. I've read a bunch of horror stories, looked at pics and thought about what was happening to lead to such destruction. Detonation messes up harmonics. Balance messes up harmonics. I've come top theorize harmonics is the root cause. Just like hitting that note that shatters the glass, your block is bifurcated.

·
The Lurker
895 Posts
I had more torque at a lower RPM with 190s and Holley SM2 than I ever did with AFR 165s and Cobra intake. Both had a custom cam ground for the combo. Bigger does not always mean you’re giving up SOTP thrills at lower RPM.
Hey Rock, maybe I missed it but what was your tuner using to tune it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
@Rock4451 hurry up and get some street time!!! We're all eagerly awaiting track time, but I'm dying to hear about the new clutch and flywheel.

I know this will be something I need to do this year, and I want to know all about the characteristics with your combo

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
@Rock4451 hurry up and get some street time!!! We're all eagerly awaiting track time, but I'm dying to hear about the new clutch and flywheel.

I know this will be something I need to do this year, and I want to know all about the characteristics with your combo
Once you get used to the principle that the flywheel has less mass and less stored energy, it’s fine. If you’re used to leaving a stoplight with steadily letting the clutch out at 1500rpms and giving it one smooth blip of gas to get rolling, you’ll have to give it a tad bit more RPM when you release the clutch. I do also notice the engine revs faster. I spend more time with the pedal at the friction point currently than I did before, but that’s also because I’m getting used to the feel of the new clutch, I swapped both at the same time.

This thing has great street manners, no horror stories about needing to rev to 4k to get moving, etc, LOL.

Within 40 minutes of unloading the car here in SC, a turbo’d WRX wanted to see who could accelerate faster on the highway. Felt nice to be the one accelerating faster :)

321 - 338 of 338 Posts