Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my 3550.
I removed the exhaust hangar on the x memeber mount as per others experiences and "flipped" the x member; the 3550 still barely fits in the slotted holes on the x member.

I *had* a DS loop but the DS rubs on the loop with the 3550 so I took the loop off temporarily.
I need to know should I shim the 3550 up in car at the x member mount or shim the DS loop down in car from the floor pan???
The top of the 3550 is already like only 5/8" to the floor pan as it is...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
When you remove the exhaust bracketry fromt the xmember it does drop the tranny slightly. Some guys on here have shimmed theirs back up to simulate the hangar still being attached to raise the tranny back up. Give it a shot to see if it'll help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The strange thing is the exhaust bracket is like 1/8" thick but my DS has an interference of 1/2".
I thought maybe the tailshaft of the tranny was lower on the 3550 as well...
I will take alot of shims to get 1/2"

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I had the same problem but there was nothing I could do about it on my '92. the 3550 was within 1/4" in some places.

I just un-bolted the bottom 'hoop' of the safety loop and was gonna have a custom one made.

Shawn

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the same conversion on mine and had no problems---everything lined up perfectly

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm running the adjustable Lakewood D/S loop, and used the lowest set of holes; which provides plenty of clearance. Might be cheaper/easier to purchase a different loop.

Wayne

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same problem. Just put some washers or shims of some sort. Put them between the tranny and the tranny mount till it clears the DS loop. I used about a 1/4" spacer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts